Bladder cancer and metformin

9 years 2 days ago #48566 by Mom of 2
Replied by Mom of 2 on topic Bladder cancer and metformin
Sara Anne, Thank you for replying to my post. I had been reading online that there could be some connection between longterm use of metformin and bladder cancer. I have never smoked and there is no history of this type of cancer in my family. I have stopped taking metformin as my ovaries were removed and never been diagnosed with diabetes. I'm very grateful that I was able to have two children via ivf before getting endometriosis resulting in the hysterectomy. Now, once I have healed, I will start treatment for the bladder cancer. Thank you again for replying to my post.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 2 days ago #48565 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Bladder cancer and metformin
This is a topic on which I have no real knowledge, but I was under the impression from what I have read that metformin seems to REDUCE the risk of all kinds of cancer in diabetic patients.

Most of us have no idea what might have "caused" our cancer. Somewhere, for some reason, a cell mutated.....

So sorry you have to join us!

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mom of 2

9 years 3 days ago - 9 years 2 days ago #48563 by Mom of 2
Bladder cancer and metformin was created by Mom of 2
Bladder cancer and metformin. I was just diagnosed on March 10th with non invasive bladder cancer. For over five years was taking metformin to treat Poly Cystic Ovaries. On March 3rd I had a complete hysterectomy, removing the ovaries,fallopian tubes,uterus,and cervix. I also had a bladder biopsy done due to inflammation not caused by infection. Has anyone ever been diagnosed with bladder cancer caused by the use of metformin? I can't start treatment for the bladder cancer until I have healed from the hysterectomy. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I am newly diagnosed. Thank you.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne