3rd time for surgery

10 years 3 months ago #45602 by dieseldoc
Replied by dieseldoc on topic 3rd time for surgery
Slocapo. Don't worry you will not lose your hair with BCG treatments! I have been dealing with the same thing for a lot of years, it has just become routine for me. If you keep on top of it and get the tumors took out when their found it will become as routine as a pap smear. good luck and come see use for questions and pep talks!

T1,NO,MO battling bladder cancer since 2005

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 years 3 months ago #45562 by slocapo
Replied by slocapo on topic 3rd time for surgery
I quit smoking 11 years ago… my dad smoked and died of testicular cancer years ago. I stopped dying my hair when they told me people working with hair dyes ( some ) or leather hides.. I just figured it would be a good time to just go grey and love it..

I have to figure smoking is my reason for bladder cancer. I am so glad I quit.

5-12 TURB
5-13 TURB
11-13 TURB
1-14 BCG
7-14 TURB
8-14 BCG
12-14 TURB
1-15 Cauterized for clotting
2-15 Removal of Right Kidney and Lymph node

10 years 3 months ago #45561 by slocapo
Thank you for the great encouragement! This is a wonderful site that has been set up for us all.. questions, answers, concerns and a new extension of a family in a way

5-12 TURB
5-13 TURB
11-13 TURB
1-14 BCG
7-14 TURB
8-14 BCG
12-14 TURB

10 years 3 months ago #45558 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic 3rd time for surgery
So Sandy! You met Knut from Norway and Anita from Tennesee!!

I agree with Ann that you are probably headed for BCG. This is MUCH DIFFERENT from traditional chemo with none of the systemic side effects that chemo has.
Of course there ARE some effects....you can read a lot about BCG on this Forum...but it is very "doable." Been there, done that. Now cancer-free for five years.

Good luck to you....you can be there for your husband and he will be there for you!

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

10 years 3 months ago - 10 years 3 months ago #45555 by pemquid
Replied by pemquid on topic 3rd time for surgery
Never smoked, never worked with dyes. However, my dad had bladder cancer when he was in his 70s and was a smoker. He had one recurrence but was up to annual checkups at the time he died at age 84 due to lung cancer (unrelated to bladder cancer except for the connection of smoking to both). Both my parents smoked and I was exposed to second hand smoke growing up and of course later as well since there was smoking was everywhere back in the "old days." Had first tumor when I was 64. How about you? Smoking? Family history?

Where we are in Maine: I'm in Bangor and we have family in Portland.

Ann

Small TA Grade 1, May-06; recur (2 tiny), same, June-08; TURBTs both times. BCG begun July-08, dosage to 1/3rd May-10, completed treatment December-11. All clear since 2008.

10 years 3 months ago #45554 by slocapo
It is a small world… I was on the chat line a few Sundays ago and spoke with a person from Tenn. and at the same time Oslo Norway…. Maine which part? I have a stepmom in Wayne Maine and friends in Portland..
My second surgery was a year to the day of my first…. then this 3rd time was less than 6 months… I hope they stop growing in there…. but I also look at it this way… better to grow in my bladder than out of it…
Did you smoke? Did you work with dyes?

5-12 TURB
5-13 TURB
11-13 TURB
1-14 BCG
7-14 TURB
8-14 BCG
12-14 TURB

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne