Diagnosed aged 35

17 years 4 weeks ago #4472 by lhpdogs
Replied by lhpdogs on topic Diagnosed aged 35
I think maybe next time, I should just stand up every now and then, readjust my "privates" and complain "Yep, the old prostate's really been botherin' me..." Then they would probably all have agina attacks, and wind up at the cardiologist's across the hall! :D

Never had anyone say "nice to see you", though. The nurses are always kinda touchy around me, again because I think they don't deal with alot of cancer around there, or alot of women - or maybe they think I'm just gonna freak on them if I see a tumor on the screen (yeah, my guy lets me watch my cystoscopies, which I think is great)!

I have not yet had a recurrence after my initial TURB; and no further treatment except 2 clear cystoscopies, so I'm lucky. I think if it comes back, I will probably force my HMO to send me to a urologist/oncologist, since I don't feel like this doctor sees a great deal of cancer. He has been very knowledgeable and forthright so far, and told me I had 'a good kind of cancer, if I had to have any cancer at all', and his operating room nurses told me that they'd let him operate on them in a heartbeat (and he was NOT within earshot at the time :o)...

Best of luck to you, Jenny. By the way, I think I'm much too young for bladder cancer myself, and i'm 48!!

Lauren

TaG1 12/05
3 recurrences
BCG started 9/09

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 years 4 weeks ago #4464 by Jenny_UK
Replied by Jenny_UK on topic Diagnosed aged 35
I know exactly what you mean Lauren! I went for a routine kidney scan last week (as anticipated it was all clear, but it's lovely to have good news to share with everyone!) and the radiology nurse presumed I'd come to support this poor random man who just happened to turn up at the same time as me! :D She was mortified and I thought it was hilarious! One nice aspect is that ALL the uro nurses know me by name and are always interested in how I'm doing, especially as we got married last year and they spotted our picture in the local paper! The problem is they always say "nice to see you", when in reality I'm sure we'd all prefer that I was never there in the first place!!
Jenny
xxxx

Dx 2005 age 32 T1 G2-3, lots of ops & intravesical Rx since, now having BCG as a preventative treatment 'cos I got the ALL CLEAR just before Easter 07! Yippeeeee!!

17 years 4 weeks ago #4461 by lhpdogs
Replied by lhpdogs on topic Diagnosed aged 35
I don't know about all y'all, but I get my biggest laugh about all of this when I sit in the waiting room of my urologist (and sometimes, boy do I sit there forever).... because I am ALWAYS the youngest person in the room, and usually the only woman!  I get the weirdest looks from all the little old men.. I'm sure they are wondering exactly how I could have prostate problems, too ;D  Now sometimes, the little old ladies accompanied their husbands, and I had one ask me point blank "are you waiting for someone?"...

I get to wait a year for my next "poke and peek"... I won't miss that waiting room!

Lauren
TaG1, 12/05

TaG1 12/05
3 recurrences
BCG started 9/09
The following user(s) said Thank You: dani

17 years 4 weeks ago #4455 by Rosemary
Replied by Rosemary on topic Diagnosed aged 35
Welcome to the forum, Jenny!! It's nice to meet you.

I am a bit older than you (54) , but have the same stage and grade. I was Dx 14 months ago and had 2 TUR's and 9 BCG's.

It hadn't occured to me before how the treatments might affect the female system, but my gyno said last week that my uterus was enlarged, and I'm having an ultrasound next week.

I wonder if it's from the treatments, or just something new popping up from old age.....

Anyway, I will look forward to seeing more posts from you.

Warmest regards,
Rosemary

Rosemary
Age - 55
T1 G3 - Tumor free 2 yrs 3 months
Dx January 2006

17 years 4 weeks ago #4449 by Jenny_UK
Replied by Jenny_UK on topic Diagnosed aged 35
Dear all, I am new to this forum but have been on the Cafe email list for a while. I was Dx at age 32 2 yrs ago with T1 Grade 2-3 and have had lots of TURTs plus chemo and BCG since. I have chatted on the email list about issues relating to my future fertility - my husband and I have yet to start our family and at some stage I may need a RC - and have found it very helpful. I too felt like a total freak when I was first diagnosed and still do - the nurses keep double-checking my notes because they are expecting someone much older, and they don't know how to answer my questions that relate to subjects like menstrual protection and TURTs, amongst others! - so I am thrilled (in the best possible sense!) to have found a place to talk to other women in a similar situation to me. I look forward to meeting people and offering and gaining support on this forum.
Best wishes,
Jenny ;)

Dx 2005 age 32 T1 G2-3, lots of ops & intravesical Rx since, now having BCG as a preventative treatment 'cos I got the ALL CLEAR just before Easter 07! Yippeeeee!!

17 years 1 month ago #4206 by Angela
Replied by Angela on topic Diagnosed aged 35
Hi Kate-

Just wanted to introduce myself and say hello... I'm Angela. I believe Alyssa referred to me in her post to you above. I was diagnosed with T1G3 and CIS last year at age 32, and underwent my RC last June.
I completely empathize with your situation. As younger bladder cancer survivors, we have our own set of unique issues. I am richly blessed to have two beautiful young children, but saddened that I have been robbed of the ability to create and give birth to more. While I am completely confident RC was the best decision, it has not been an easy journey. Most days, I remain optimistic for a healthier future and many more years of life, but the fears of recurrance and RC/neobladder complications are always looming. I find great comfort in talking with my dear friends here at the cafe', specifically younger women who are experiencing similar issues and fears as myself. There is not nearly enough resources for bladder cancer survivors, muchless for survivors who are young like us. Thank God for Alyssa and Claire (and of course, Wendy for creating this site)! They have been a life line for me and are tremendously supportive and understanding. I am thrilled to see we have all found one another here. In fact, Alyssa phoned me just yesterday to make sure I knew about you! :)
Please feel free to send me a personal message if you would like to talk or have specific questions. I'd be happy to tell you more about my experience and how I'm living!

All my best,
Angela

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne