Having Turbt in the morning

12 years 5 months ago #40236 by annie
Replied by annie on topic Having Turbt in the morning
Thanks very much. I already picked up meds: USTELL capsules (for spasms I think) and Cipro and Hydrocodone.
I have written down 4 things that you guys have brought up so again, thank you.
Annie

T1
N0
M0

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 years 5 months ago #40235 by CatherineH
Replied by CatherineH on topic Having Turbt in the morning
One more thing... I can't remember if I had anything for bladder spasms for the TURBT or if that was after my later surgery. You might ask him if he thinks you might need something. That's because your bladder tries to contract like normal to empty but everything is going into the catheter tube which seems to sometimes make the bladder cranky. It was just a brief uncomfortable feeling for me but can be avoided with the meds.

Best wishes... Catherine

TURBT 1/21/10 at age 55
Dx: T2aN0M0 Primary Bladder Adenocarcinoma
Partial Cystectomy 2/25/10
Vanderbilt Medical Center
Nashville, TN

12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #40234 by CatherineH
Replied by CatherineH on topic Having Turbt in the morning
You will need someone to drive you home. They are normally very clear on what you need to do with your discharge instructions.

I am assuming if it was anything like mine that it shouldn't be painful because you will be under anesthesia.

You will wake up with a catheter which should not be too uncomfortable. Ask him if he will do an instillation (through the catheter) of mytomycin-C afterwards which is pretty routine now. That is basically a bladder wash of a chemo solution to kill any little tumor seeds that might have escaped. It doesn't get into your bloodstream so no after effects.

After that it will be a matter of waiting for your path report because that will be how your treatment options will determined.

I went home with the catheter, took it easy the rest of the evening and went back the next morning at 10 at which time the catheter was removed. I felt fine after that, was out running light errands later in the day.

Will be thinking of you...

Best wishes... Catherine

TURBT 1/21/10 at age 55
Dx: T2aN0M0 Primary Bladder Adenocarcinoma
Partial Cystectomy 2/25/10
Vanderbilt Medical Center
Nashville, TN

12 years 5 months ago #40233 by dieseldoc
Replied by dieseldoc on topic Having Turbt in the morning
You probably will have a cathater so you need to ask how long, and what to do if you have a problem with it. Also ask what will normaly appear in the bag and what to look for that should not appear in the bag. You will probably have some pain so be sure he gets you some pain meds. Make sure you have someone with you after the surgery, you will be druged. Write down your questions and have who ever is with you write down the answers.

Good luck, I know you will be alright.

(Gary) Dieseldoc

T1,NO,MO battling bladder cancer since 2005

12 years 5 months ago #40231 by annie
Having Turbt in the morning was created by annie
Can anyone guide me in what questions to ask my urologist about after care. Today was cystoscopy and he said it appeared "high grade". Set up surgery tomorrow a.m. but I was so nervous I forgot to ask about whether I would be cathaterized or in pain or anything else.
He said that he would be doing biopsy and taking the tumor tomorrow (at 7am)and that I may be a good candidate for a partial removal in the future. I am thinking that the pathology report will be the crucial determination of what is next. I am also thinking that "high grade" isn't very optimistic.
Help me think of what to ask him for getting through tomorrow and the next few days after that???
thank you all.
Annie

T1
N0
M0

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne