Time frame for bladder wash testing....

12 years 10 months ago #38122 by DougG
Replied by DougG on topic Time frame for bladder wash testing....
Lild,

Hope you have gotten OK news today. That is scary. The cytology usually comes back within a week for me. I just had to have a FISH test; that took a month to come back. Fortunately my results were good. Welcome to the site and hoping to hear from you soon.

Doug

Anita
Forum Moderator
Caregiver

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 years 10 months ago #38119 by mmc
Replied by mmc on topic Time frame for bladder wash testing....
So by my calculation you'd be roughly 45 or 46 now so I'm guessing it is not old age creeping in. :)

Since urologists do things like BCG treatments for people who may have severe reactions and need to get in touch with the doctor, there is typically a urologist on call or way to call in and get a message to the doctor. If yours isn't the one on call the one who is can usually get in touch with yours to find out what the ASAP was about or have your doctor call you.

Had they not put that "ASAP" in the message, then it may have been tricky reaching someone on their day off but if you called their answering service and said "He left a message saying to call ASAP, please have him call me ASAP because now I'm freaking out (even if you weren't) then it is likely they would have gotten a message to him.

It is Monday now anyway but I'd have suggested that for Friday and over the weekend.

There has to be a way to get in touch with doctors in an emergency situation. If they hadn't used that darn "ASAP" acronym, it probably wouldn't have been a big deal for you. Using it in the message like would put anybody into a state of concern until they can get back in touch.

I hope it is not bad news. Let us know when you find out today.

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

12 years 10 months ago #38117 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Time frame for bladder wash testing....
Well urine pathology can be iffy....depends on the lab.
Each laboratory has its own way of describing the results of a urine cytology exam. Some common words used in pathology reports include:

Unsatisfactory specimen. This may mean that not enough cells or the wrong types of cells were found in your urine sample. You may need to repeat the urine cytology test.
Negative. This means no cancer cells were identified in your urine sample.
Atypical. This indicates some changes were found in the cells in your urine sample. But while the cells weren't normal, they weren't abnormal enough to be considered cancer.
Suspicious. This term may indicate that urine cells were abnormal and may be cancerous.
Positive. A positive result indicates that cancer cells were found in your urine.
That said it can take a day to a week depending on where it was sent. And there can be false positives and false negatives.
but since you had a cystoscopy and if something positive showed up in the urine he's going to want to do some further testing. A bladder wash or if you're not at a major cancer or urology center he probably doesn't have narrow band imagining which can find what the naked eye cannot.
Anyway i hope its nothing.
pat

12 years 10 months ago #38113 by CatherineH
Replied by CatherineH on topic Time frame for bladder wash testing....
Hello and welcome... I think that kind of phone call would worry anyone. I hate when they do that and keep you guessing over an entire weekend. It seems my urine cytology comes back in a few days. Eleven days seems like a long time to get around to calling you, but maybe the doctor was out of the office for a week.

As you said, you should know tomorrow (Monday) the reason for the phone call. Please come back and let us know what you find out. Sending positive thoughts your way...

Best wishes... Catherine

TURBT 1/21/10 at age 55
Dx: T2aN0M0 Primary Bladder Adenocarcinoma
Partial Cystectomy 2/25/10
Vanderbilt Medical Center
Nashville, TN

12 years 10 months ago #38112 by lild8599
Time frame for bladder wash testing.... was created by lild8599
Hi everyone! This is my first time posting here so let me tell you a little bit about myself before I ask my question. I am not new to BC but I am new to this group. I was first diagnosed in October 2001 at the age of 36 and had one reoccurance in May 2002. I was lucky and both times it was only a single tumor and both low grade, stage 0. I have had clean cystos now for the last 9 1/2 years.

Five weeks ago I went to my doctor with severe back pains. She suspected a kidney stone since my urinalysis showed traces of blood. Went for a CT scan the next morning and found out it was actually diverticulitis and ended up in the hospital for 4 days. The blood in the urine was never addressed and to be honest, I had forgotten about it.

On June 6th, I went to my Uro for my yearly cysto...all clear. Here is where my questions comes in. This past Friday (the 17th) I got home from work and had a message on my voice mail to call my Uro ASAP. Well, needless to say, they were closed for the day...and it was Friday!! This is the FIRST time my Uro has called me after an appointment so I am very concerned. My question is, if the Uro sent the wash or urine sample off for analysis, how long does it take to get the results back. I don't remember him ever doing anything more than a urinalysis so if he has ever done any testing, I was never aware of this...especially since I have never gotten any calls from him after an appointment. (P.S...I forgot to mention to my uro about the blood in my urine too...old age creeping in I guess! LOL)

I originally asked this question on Friday (problem I guess with it posting to the forum), so now I am aware that I will find out what is going on by morning, but I would still be interested in your responses to my question!!

Thank you in advance!!

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne