Time to diagnosis

12 years 11 months ago #37217 by Markq
Replied by Markq on topic Time to diagnosis
I'm not sure exactly. I had blood in my urine for a few days in the middle of 2007. My Dr. at the time did a CT scan without contrast and a few other tests that revealed nothing and no further workup was done. Then in November of last year I had blood in my urine again. This time a different doctor called a urologist right away who ordered a CT urogram. I was in the OR getting a TURBT about 1 week later.

As to whether or not it was there in 2007 I can't say. I didn't have any more bleeding after that first episode until 2010. I should have pushed for more tests in 2007, but I buried my head in the sand hoping it would go away and it did for over 3 years. If it was there in 2007, than I'd say I'm extremely fortunate my cancer isn't invasive or metastatic. The past year I had a bad feeling of what was wrong and I didn't handle it at all like the episode in 2007. Why I handled each episode differently I don't know. If I had ignored this last warning I don't think my story would have a happy ending.

47 yo, Ta G3
Diagnosed 11-24-10
BCG induction starting 12/17/10 followed by BCG maintance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 years 11 months ago #37198 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Time to diagnosis
It is always amazing to me how difficult it often seems to get a diagnosis. I suffered from "UTI's" for about a year and they got worse and worse. Mentioned this to a nurse practitioner when I had my pap smear...and I will always be grateful to her. She said that if you have three or more UTIs in a year you go to a urologist. That was in September, 2008. I went to the urologist and he found no blood or bacteria. He said that the next time I symptoms to come see him. In November, the day before Thanksgiving, I did. No signs of any infection. He stayed late to do cystoscopy and we were on our way. Two TURBs several weeks apart and my UTIs got "upgraded" to CIS.

BCG and now I have been clear for almost a year!!

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

12 years 11 months ago #37197 by mmc
Replied by mmc on topic Time to diagnosis
Can you be a bit more specific?

Not sure I understand the point of the question.
Symptoms can vary or be non-existent.
Symptoms that do appear (recurrent UTIs, blood in urine) are often ignored or considered to be something else.

If you have symptoms, get a referral to urologist. I was treated for UTIs for about a year or so before I got referred to urologist. The urologist found the spot right away when he did an in-office cysto. A few weeks later, he did the TURBT and bladder cancer was confirmed.

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

12 years 11 months ago #37196 by Joey
Replied by Joey on topic Time to diagnosis
My symptoms started very briefly in 02/07 with some blood in my urine. Went to GP and advised urine tests etc didn't show anything. Blood again in Oct 07 and at this time sent to urologist where BC dx as low grade but 4 cm in size.

12 years 11 months ago #37195 by Lynda
Replied by Lynda on topic Time to diagnosis
Time frames can vary for a lot of reasons. My case was about 3 years because I was convinced it was a UTI (almost all the time) and between drugs and homeopathic remedies I thought I could control it. My referral to a urologist was in Jan 2010 and Dx(diagnosis) of bladder cancer was in May 2010 (Jan 2010 Dx was a prolapsed bladder). After the May Dx, I had an "exploratory" surgery in June (thinking they could just cut the tumor out and be done), my RC was in July and I was back on my feet and doing pretty much whatever I wanted by the beginning of Sept. Hope this helps. You've found a great group. Everyone here is very friendly and always ready to listen and help.

Lynda

Lynda

3 years UTIs
Indiana Pouch - July 2010
Pulmonary Met. - May 2011
Chemo started June 2011

12 years 11 months ago #37194 by CatherineH
Replied by CatherineH on topic Time to diagnosis
Hello and welcome... I really had no symptoms to speak of. What alerted me to something unusual was just every now and again I saw just a very light pink on the tissue after I went to the bathroom, but it was pretty infrequent. I was thinking at first maybe hemorrhoid related, then it occurred to me that it could be post-menopausal bleeding. I then remembered my gyno had said after menopause, there is no bleeding that is normal, so I called immediately to make an appointment.

I got in to see her the next week, and after a thorough exam she found a bladder mass. THAT had never crossed my mind because I'd never even had a UTI so bladder issues were not part of my consideration.

So I would say for me, it was a two to three months. My surgeon estimated the tumor could have been in there 12-18 months to reach a size of 1.6 cm.

Best wishes... Catherine

TURBT 1/21/10 at age 55
Dx: T2aN0M0 Primary Bladder Adenocarcinoma
Partial Cystectomy 2/25/10
Vanderbilt Medical Center
Nashville, TN

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne