Surgery or Chemotherapy is for Bladder cancer

13 years 4 months ago #35226 by San30
Hi...I am located in INDIA ...My aunt is 63.

I can send you the scanned reports .....I dont know where to attach the files in the forum.....i can send on ur mail Id....if u want so?

So according to you Surgery or reconstruction of Bladder is desirable?

Sangeet

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 years 4 months ago #35222 by jj803
From your reference to the pathology report it sounds as if she is certainly suffering from bladder cancer. As someone mention, the treatment of bladder cancer is variable based upon the stage at diagnosis. Since it is called infiltrating, this implies that it is an invasive tumor and therefore either T1 or higher. For T1 disease there is controversy as to the most appropriate treatment with many suggesting a trial of BCG and if failure then radical cystectomy. For T2 disease most agree that the best treatment choice is radical cystectomy with extended lymph node dissection and some suggest pre surgical chemotherapy as it improves 5 year survival slightly on average. As noted combined chemo and irradiation can be pursued, if she does not desire surgery; however a fair number of patients going this route will still need a radical cystectomy after treatment and the radiation complicates the surgery.

jj

13 years 4 months ago #35220 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Surgery or Chemotherapy is for Bladder cancer
Sangeet..where are you located?
The most critical aspect of diagnosing urothelial carcinoma lies in the recognition of invasion because the management and prognosis are significantly different between invasive and noninvasive tumors.
So it sounds like the path report suggests invasion into the muscle without any spread as according to the PET/CT scan.
She certainly can have a choice of chemo/radiation but only about half will succeed and the radiation pretty much messes up whats left of the intestines.
Cystectomy and reconstruction the other option..
May i ask how old your aunt is?
pat

13 years 4 months ago #35218 by San30
Dear Sir,
Thanks for your reply.

Yes there was a Cystoscopy and biopsy of blaader tissue and analysed by pathalogist.

Can I have your Email id so that I can send you the Scanned reoprts.?

Drs, are saying that Cancer is invaded to Bladder muscles.

Thanks,

Sangeet

13 years 4 months ago #35215 by mmc
Sangeet,

We're not doctors here so we can't diagnose bladder cancer. You say she was diagnosed already. How was she diagnosed? Did she have a cystoscopy and biopsy of bladder tissue that was analyzed by a pathologist?

Doing a PET scan usually happens when there is confirmed bladder cancer and they are looking to see if it spread. The PET does not appear to indicate that they found any spread.

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

13 years 4 months ago #35211 by San30
My Aunt is diagnose with INFILTRATING UROTHELIAL CARCINOMA.

CT FINDINGS:
* EVIDENCE OF DIFFUSE ASYMMETRIC WALL THICKNENING INVOLVING POSTERIOR WALL & BASE OF URINARY BLADDER MEASURING 8-10mm.NO EVIDENCE OF INTRALUMINAL MASS LESION.

* NO EVIDENCE OF REGIONAL LYMPHADENOPATHY

* BILATERAL KIDNEYS ARE NORMAL IN SIZE,OUTLINE,POSITION,ENHANCEMENT & EXCRETION PATTERN.

PET FINDINGS:
* THE SCAN SHOWS NO FOCI OF ANY SIGNIFICANT ABNORMAL UPTAKE OF THE RADIOPHARMACEUTICAL ON PET.

* THE ASYMMETRIC WALL THICKENING SEEN ON CT COULD NOT BE EVALUATED DUE TO UPTAKE IN THE BLADDER (NORMAL,URINE)

* NO OTHER FOCI OF ABNORMAL FDG UPTAKE

* THE UPTAKE IN THE LUNGS,LIVER,SPLEEN, LYMPH NODE GROUPS AND SKELETAL SYSTEM IS WITHIN NORMAL LIMITS.

Kindly suggest if she is really suffering from Bladder Cancer.

Which treatment will be better for her Surgery or Chemotherapy?

Can the above disease be cured by chemotherapy only?

Waiting for replies and suggestions in urgent.

Thanks & Regards,

Sangeet Kant Jain

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne