stitches, stoma and bowels

13 years 4 months ago #34937 by Melodie
Replied by Melodie on topic stitches, stoma and bowels
Hey Julie - Yes, the red from the staples is not attractive; I think you are today at your two week mark...I had mine removed on day 17 and was healing so quickly the doctor said it was good I was in to have them removed, the skin wanted to grow over the staples. I don't recall being told to put anything on my staples but just to clean w/water and dry as Pat advised.

On my stoma, they gave me Bacatrin (ointment) for use around the stoma and around any irritated area where the tubes were...I looked so forward to having all that extra stuff removed. I too had a visiting nurse but not a stoma nurse; they are hard to find in my area.

As for bowels...yes, keep em softer and easy.

Your in my prayers...stay in touch with the good folks here on the web and we'll see you thru this crazy maze. Hugs, M.

Melodie, Indy Pouch, U.W.Medical Center, Seattle, Dr. Paul H. Lange & Jonathan L. Wright

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 years 4 months ago #34906 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic stitches, stoma and bowels
hydrogen pyroxide.....huh..talk about an irritant. Don't do that.
is the area itchy at all? it should be reported and preferably to a STOMA nurse ...why are they sending someone who doesn't know what the heck they're looking at? DOH!
Sounds like your stoma is spitting mucus which it is prone to do..but it seems like its also irritated around the opening. See if you can get someone knowledgable to give you some stoma power to apply. That will create a barrier. Don't use any soaps with perfumes in them and thats about all of them..you really have to read the labels. Like i said i don't use anything but water and then pat dry the area with a soft Viva towel..they're the softest.
I stuck with the colace for 6 weeks..just one a day while my intestines healed. If you're going to do prunes thats plenty of fiber..don't supplement with anything else.
There's gotta be a Stoma nurse somewhere in Chicago.....here's a place where you can ask a question....
www.c3life.com/ostomy/community/ask.aspx
pat

13 years 4 months ago #34905 by mmc
Replied by mmc on topic stitches, stoma and bowels
Julie,

Glad to hear that you are home already! Yay! :) That's great. You may want to look into having a stoma nurse come. I've heard they can be extremely helpful.

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

13 years 4 months ago #34902 by mamatrausch
Replied by mamatrausch on topic stitches, stoma and bowels
thanks mike
im home now... I have an appt next tues for stitch removal and I did have a home health nurse but she is unfamilar with stomas and Indiana pouches. She just said she would order supplies. Ill leave the stiches alone and start taking colace just once a day if needed and maybe some prunes I figured it was a fine line between soft stool and hard.

T1/G3-CIS 10-01-2010
10-27-2010-Indiana Pouch

13 years 4 months ago #34901 by mmc
Replied by mmc on topic stitches, stoma and bowels
1. Redness around staples is quite common. They should be taking them out soon. Don't use antibiotic creams or ointments on those areas or you risk opening it up. Hyrdogen peroxide or the like is fine but the nurse should look at it and decide. It does not necessarily mean an infection. If it doesn't hurt, it probably is not.

2. I have no experience with this part so I'll let the experts answer.

3. Suggest asking the doctor. I'm not sure if its ok to take metamucil or citrocel right now (so soon after surgery). If so, it can help with hemoroids also and the fiber is a good practice. Colace would be OK now for sure. Softer is better for now while you are healing. You don't want to be pushing or straining.

Any nurse on the hall should be able to look at those staples.
They should also be able to answer question 3 and probably question 2. They do a lot of these surgeries at that hospital. Ask for a stoma nurse to come see you.

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

13 years 4 months ago #34900 by mamatrausch
stitches, stoma and bowels was created by mamatrausch
Hello to all I continue feeling stronger every day I have a few questions and I did call Dr steinbergs nurse we will see if she responds.
1. The margin area around some of the metal staples seems red
is this normal? Not weepy or hot just red. They dont have me putting any antibiotic cream on just shower and wash.

2. Rememeber my crazy stoma there was some pus (e coli) so Im on bacrrim Ds but I changed the stomas wrap today lots of White mucus looking stuff no smell looks like fat. Removed white stuff with gauze pad stomas has very bright red areas.

3 Lastly my bowels are up and running Formed stools and I am prety much on a full general diet. Should I keep the bowels loose by taking colace or just stay on lots of water and have soft formed stools? I do have a hemmeroid though slight blood now and then. Well thats the questions that have come up for me I know you all will have insight so I await your replies. Love Julie

T1/G3-CIS 10-01-2010
10-27-2010-Indiana Pouch

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne