I hate to complain but.....

14 years 6 months ago #28043 by Julie
Replied by Julie on topic I hate to complain but.....
After my complete hysterectomy in 2000 I had problems with vaginal dryness after I stopped the Premarin. I stopped taking it because of the research studies done about long term use of estrogen, and Estrogen combined progesterone that indicated that it contributed to increased heart problems and strokes among other things.
I tried the estrogen creme to apply topically and I didn't care for it. My Dr. then prescribed the Estring which is a ring that fits in the vagina and releases a very small does of estrogen over a 3 month period. I liked this better than the estrogen creme which had to be used every two to 3 days. I stopped using it when I couldn't get the product anymore. I had a prescription but couldn't get it filled. I thought perhaps it wasn't being made anymore. I read the link Pat sent and saw a mention of the Estring.

I asked my Dr. last month about the possibility of getting something for the dryness in the future if I became sexually active. She had not heard of it. I did some online research after this topic was brought up a few months ago and found that vaginal moisturizers had better results than lubricants. I went to the drug store and saw what they had and thought it was very expensive. It is over the counter and is not a prescription item.

The thinking is the very low does of estrogen that is used by Vagifem and Estring which does not go through the liver like oral estrogen does might not have such deleterious side effects but I couldn't find if there was a study of the specific products so the warning on the product is the same for the very much larger dose of estrogen.

Personally I would rather use the Estring than oral estrogen or estrogen cremes if sex becomes a part of my life again.
Julie

Volunteer Coordinator
ABLSC

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 years 6 months ago #28035 by Gracie
Replied by Gracie on topic I hate to complain but.....
Hi Pat - just got your email with the link. I'm going to ask my gyn about this. Interesting but no long term testing done. Jeesh - I'm just not crazy about taking any hormone in any form. I think I'd like to wait until more testing is done. It all just flat out scares me.

I'm going to try my cortisone for awhile - and even with that i'm being real careful. No cancer studies done and there's a laundry list of side effects too.

Melodie - I'm with you. I had the Premarin prescription filled and its sitting on my vanity collecting dust.

Sara Anne - maybe the reduced dose is something to consider. It seems like a possible compromise.

Thanks guys - wish there would be a simple answer.

Gracie

14 years 6 months ago #28034 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic I hate to complain but.....
I sent this to Gracie but thought i'd post it here regarding estrogen creams...by Dr. Susan Love who has a great breast cancer site..
www.dslrf.org/breastcancer/content.asp?CATID=33&L2=1&L3=6&L4=0&PID=&sid=132&cid=1350#
Pat

14 years 6 months ago #28026 by Melodie
Replied by Melodie on topic I hate to complain but.....
Gracie,

I had my hysto. 20 years prior to my RC but because the doc. left my ovaries intact, I was just fine....UNTIL, my RC. Yikes! Taking those ovaries made a HUGH difference. I never would have imagined I could be this dry and irritated and sex, well, I'm still way to scared to go all the way...just too painful :ohmy: and worse than being a virgin....at least then we had the natural lubrication. :side: As for the estrogen cream, I have a prescription but too fearful to use it. Guess if I ever want to get that intimate again, I'll have to take the chance. :unsure:

Melodie, Indy Pouch, U.W.Medical Center, Seattle, Dr. Paul H. Lange & Jonathan L. Wright

14 years 6 months ago #28021 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic I hate to complain but.....
I have had breast cancer, and also take an estrogen blocker medication for it. So I am about as dry as it gets. My gyn has me using estrogen cream, at about 1/4 the amount recommended. Says that yes, there will be some absorption, but not nearly enough for harm. And it does work.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

14 years 6 months ago #28018 by Gracie
Replied by Gracie on topic I hate to complain but.....
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Too funny!

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne