New problems since Neo Bladder Surgery

14 years 10 months ago #25876 by alsimons
Replied by alsimons on topic New problems since Neo Bladder Surgery
It appears that your ex is seriously lacking in the compasion department. I'd like to think nost of us males would respond in a different light. Now let me get my nose out of here before I say what I relly feel. (pleading temp insanity works for me.)

Please take care and we are wishing you well

Al

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 years 10 months ago #25875 by SharonD
Replied by SharonD on topic New problems since Neo Bladder Surgery
Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I spent the weekend in the hospital. The Dr's now have me on high doses of Macrodantin for the infection and Vicodin for the pain. Per my Dr no surgerys to remove the kidney stones until the infection is cleared. I did go back to work in February which has really made life rough, dirty nasty bathrooms that I share with 300 people and I have caught more viruses in the past 3 months then I care to count. I'm surprised they haven't fired me yet since I have missed 28 days since starting. On the downside the ex is prooving to be brutal he states I had cancer I am cancer free and he sees no reason why I should not work full time.:)

14 years 11 months ago #25781 by Betsy Mae
Replied by Betsy Mae on topic New problems since Neo Bladder Surgery
Sharon

I'm so sorry to hear about your many problems - I'm with Pat on what to do with the Ex!
I have been plagued with many infections since my neobladder operation too but......... 21 months down the line things seem to be gradually getting better - with respect to infections anyway! I currently take 100mg prophylactic antibiotics every night and feel better for them.
Here's hoping your kidney issues get sorted soon.
Best wishes

Betsy Mae

14 years 11 months ago #25775 by mznoregrets
Replied by mznoregrets on topic New problems since Neo Bladder Surgery
Sharon,

I can only comment on the social security issue...

I was initially turned down because I had hoped to get back to work, too. As it turned out - I could not return to work. My dx was stage 3 which is a qualifying dx for disability.

I had to get a lawyer who only deals with SS claims - a good one. I appealed the claim and they ended up having to compensate me as they should have. I did have to give 25%to the lawyer. Had I not been so freaked out - I could have done it without the lawyer.

My advice...Appeal the claim immeadiately. I sent you a message with my phone number - call me and I will share further.

It is indeed frustrating. Cancer sucks, and sometimes life is not anywhere near fair. We care, God Bless, Holly

14 years 11 months ago - 14 years 11 months ago #25773 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic New problems since Neo Bladder Surgery
Sharon......Geez......i'm so sorry. You've certainly got enough on your plate without your husband walking out the door. I could give you a solution to that one but unfortunately i think unless you claim temporary insanity you'd probably get a jail sentence...unless there are only women on the jury.
As for the bacteria.....its pretty common for neobladders to always have some bacteria in them. They only treat if you become symptomatic.
In studies patients with neobladders, not on antibiotic therapy, were culture positive, and half of these contained uropathogenic species, such as Escherichia coli, Klebsiella pneumoniae, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, and Enterococcus faecalis. Bacterial colonization (including uropathogenic strains) was strongly correlated with residual urine (p<0.005), but not with leakage. Anaerobic strains were found more frequently (p=0.04) in urine from ileal neobladders than in urine from colonic neobladders. The 13 patients with ileal neobladders and on prophylactic antibiotic therapy carried bacteriuria in 80% of the samples, the majority being anaerobic strains. Uropathogenic strains, mainly Enterecoccus faecalis was revealed in 30% of the samples.

Conclusions: The lower urinary tract of patients with ileal or colonic neobladders is heavily colonized with potentially uropathogenic and anaerobic bacteria. Complete bladder emptying reduces the bacterial burden. Anaerobic colonization is increased in neobladders reconstructed from ileum. Prophylactic antibiotic therapy does not seem to reduce the bacterial burden, but interferes with the bacterial composition.

There's been a lot of discussion on this as so many uro's treat with an antibiotic when they see the bacteria even though the patient is asymptomatic.

I wonder if whats making you ill isn't something to do with your kidney?
I'm guessing they're to large to pass or do lithotripsy? Found an article from Mayo on stones
www.mayoclinic.org/kidney-stones/treatment.html
So your appointment on the 29th is for what...CT, MRI? Did they say spots on the kidney or stones? Sorry for my confusion. Anyway that seems a long time to wait while you're in pain.
Will your insurance allow you to go out of state? I might just get another opinion at this point at perhaps Johns Hopkins which is the #1 Urology Hospital in the country.
Pat

14 years 11 months ago #25772 by SharonD
Not sure where to start, I have not been on here in awhile. Been dealing with family issues. Can you believe after 27 years of marriage the husband has decided he can't deal with my issues any more and walked away. Enough said about him. So over the past few months I have been having alot of pain in my left kidney I knew in March I had 2 kidney stones however now they have found 3 spots on my left kidney. I have an appt for the 29th of May to go in and in the mean time I am also dealing with a UTI with a weird name I think they called it enterococcus. I went back to work on Feb 2nd part time and since then I have been sick with as my Primary Care Dr says virus they seem to run fast. I get sick for 2 weeks better then sick again. Can't afford to quit work now I got declined for SSI they said I should be able to go back to work part time by Sept 2009. I guess they have never tried to cath them selves in a dirty bathroom that 100 other people use. I know my Dr at VA Mason said that they will probaly have to go in thru my back and remove the kidney stones he was hoping to hold off till Aug or Sept so now I am worried about the 3 spots they also found. Any suggestions???

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne