neobladder conversion

15 years 9 months ago #19055 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic neobladder conversion
Well i guess i'd ask the doc...and i'd be really interested if he can do an Indiana conversion from a neobladder......with the ileal there is also a stoma.......
Ileal Loop: Using part of your bowel as a loop/conduit, the ureters (two tubes that carry urine from the kidneys) are attached so that they empty through this loop. The other end of the loop is then brought out through the abdominal wall and a stoma is created. You will need to wear a bag over your stoma to collect urine all the time.
Let us know what your surgeon means by this as i've personally found no conversions to the Indiana but that doesn't mean that its not out there..i'll keep searching..........Pat

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 years 9 months ago #19049 by bionic bladder
Replied by bionic bladder on topic neobladder conversion
Hi Pat,

Thanks for the info. Can you catherterize the stoma on the illeal or do you have to wear a bag all of the time. I am only 40 and not too thrilled with the idea of wearing a bag 24/7. Do you know what my Dr. meant when he said that the neobladder had already been prepped for a stoma just in case?

15 years 9 months ago #19032 by Patricia
The ileal conduit is the outside bag
the isoperistaltic proximal ileal limb of the Studer neobladder may be used as an ileal conduit.

more on ileal conduit
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ileal_conduit

I found a site that is free to join which answers all types of urology questions...........www.medhelp.org/forums/show/52

Pat

15 years 9 months ago #19022 by bionic bladder
Replied by bionic bladder on topic neobladder conversion
Well when they created the neobladder in January they prepped it for a conversion in case it was needed in the future, but I'm not exactly sure what that means and I'm having a hard time finding anything about it. What is the illeal that you spoke of?

15 years 9 months ago #19010 by Patricia
well that would be quite a trick...i'd like to know who can do that...i've heard of getting rid of the neo to an ileal but not to an Indiana with a navel stoma....they've pretty much used up all the intestine on the one...however i shall research it.........Pat

15 years 9 months ago #19009 by bionic bladder
neobladder conversion was created by bionic bladder
Has anyone had or know of anyone who has had a neobladder and have to convert it to a reservoir with an abdominal stoma? Any information or websites would be greatly appreciated.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne