Books on living with an RC - any suggestions?

16 years 2 months ago #12720 by Maria

MNS thank you for posting this web page, it has been so helpful and reassured me about my own fears and answered so many of my questions of living with a stoma and coping with various situations. I am going to discuss the Indiana pouch with my surgeon, after all of my research it seems this option will be best for me.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 2 months ago #12645 by mns
Melodie,
You might try the United Ostomy Association of America website for tips on pouches. It's
www.uoaa.org.
It has a lot of information about all types of pouches.
mns

16 years 2 months ago #12631 by Melodie
Replied by Melodie on topic Books on living with an RC - any suggestions?
Thanks Alanna, I think I've been to that website for continent resevoirs, pouch owners but wasn't able to log in...perhaps I should try again. But of course, if I find anything good, I'll share with you and others. Take care, Melodie

Melodie, Indy Pouch, U.W.Medical Center, Seattle, Dr. Paul H. Lange & Jonathan L. Wright

16 years 2 months ago #12615 by Alanna
I have not been able to find any books myself, but I noticed there is a website you could google by a woman named Sylvia Ramsey, Bladder Cancer Sisterhood and she writes poetry and has some books of that, and maybe that is a place to start, it looks like a great website , very encouraging. As for books that are helpful for this journey we are on, it would be wonderful to find something and if you do please tell me because I have found no books on the subject of maintenance with the pouch, I seem to learn everything from reading what suggestions others have and figuring out if that works for me. When I first got cancer there was a website in the states that was called the continent diversion network and that was very helpful for me and they gave me people to talk to, maybe they have the names of books that would be useful to us.

16 years 2 months ago #12576 by Melodie
Hi Everyone! I have been looking at Amazon and cancer sites to see what books are available on the subject...I'm not wanting anything too technical but some type of user guide...living with the after effects of RC, to include "pouch" tips... with half a million or more ostomies out there, I have to believe there is something of value out there....I asked my doctor but again, he doesn't have any suggestions for me. Maybe I can educate myself and him at the same time in regard to this subject. Melodie

Melodie, Indy Pouch, U.W.Medical Center, Seattle, Dr. Paul H. Lange & Jonathan L. Wright

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne