Forum

× click the New Topic button to post

Just Received Pathology

1 year 10 months ago - 1 year 10 months ago #52684 by Alan
Yes, a very non aggressive approach. As mentioned in a prior response and my profile, I was a single stalk/papillary tumor .5CM in size. My URO insisted on a second TURB to have MUSCLE (this is VERY important) in the pathology and also told me while I didn't have to have BCG, he STRONGLY suggested it especially in high grade. The statistics are also with those that take it. Yes, there can be side effects but, it is nothing like chemo. I am sorry to read about the insurance problem also. With what I know and have read, I would be on to a second opinion, a new URO. Look for one that handles a lot of bladder cancer as so many see mostly prostate and other issues-maybe your insurance company's web site lists such doctors. There are many posters that have passed through over my almost 9 years watching this forum and almost all have agreed to what we are discussing.

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.
The following user(s) said Thank You: FHet

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 year 10 months ago #52683 by FHet
Final Pathological Diagnosis:
A. Transurethral Resection, Bladder Tumor: Noninvasive Papillary Urothelial Carcinoma, High Grade
B. Transurethral Resection, Base of Bladder Tumor: Benign, Partially Denuded Urothelial-Lined Tissue. (Health Care Provider- Kaiser Permanente - Riverside, CA)

After multiple emails and voice mails doctor finally responded with a voicemail.

Since my Ta HG tumor was a single papillary tumor on a stalk he is confident that no further treatment is needed other than 3 month cystoscopy's. He said that there was no cancer found in the superficial lining and he is confident that it has not spread to the muscle since the lining didn't have any cancer in it. There was NO muscle present in the pathology sample.

He said that sometimes a second TURBT is done to recheck, but is confident this isn't needed.
He also said that since it was a single tumor on a stalk, he thought BCG wasn't necessary because although it can help, it does come with possible side affects.

From all that I have read regarding BC that comes back from pathology as High Grade, this is a very non aggressive approach. Everything I have read suggest a second TURBT followed by BCG.

I have already pathology off to Johns Hopkins for a second opinion. They received it yesterday and I hope to hear back from them in a couple of days. Hoping to hear that they think is is Low Grade.

Definitely looking at a second opinion on the treatment plan.

I would love to hear feed back. My wife and I are very nervous and frustrated.

Thanks,
Frank

DX 1/10/17 Ta HG papillary tumor 1cm in size.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 year 10 months ago - 1 year 10 months ago #52682 by Alan
Frank,

Hang in there. Waiting was part of my torture also even though I was fast tracked. Two quick observations is that most tumors don't change that fast and second you have taken the steps to beat this. With a doctor as unresponsive as yours, unless he has been ill I'd be on to another URO!

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 year 10 months ago #52681 by FHet
Update:
Sent pathology to Johns Hopkins for 2ND opinion and they received it today. Cost was $250. Website says I can expect emailed report in 3-5 days. Getting my gall bladder removed on Tuesday and hope to hear good news regarding 2nd opinion after. We emailed my doctor last Friday at 1:30 am (tough to sleep with all that's on my mind) with questions regarding treatment, etc...still waiting on reply. I even emailed again yesterday, still waiting. I am looking for positive thoughts and hoping to hear back from Johns Hopkins that it is not High Grade as originally diagnosed.
Thanks,
Frank

DX 1/10/17 Ta HG papillary tumor 1cm in size.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 year 10 months ago #52671 by LillianG
I agree 100% with Alan and Sara Ann. I have the same diagnosis as you have, and you can see at the bottom of this post the path that my doctors have followed for my treatment. BCG treatments definitely improve our odd.

Please seek a second opinion for your treatment path.

Take care of you,
Lilliang

Dx 5/28/15 with 4.2cm x 2.2cm Ta HG Papillary TCC; 2nd TURBT 7/09/15, NED; 6 BCG completed 9/30/15; 3 sets of BCG maintenance completed 1/26/17. Six cystoscopes - all NED. Moving to scopes every 6 months, and no more BCG maintenance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 year 10 months ago - 1 year 10 months ago #52663 by FHet
Thank you to all who have taken the time to read and/or respond. I will update when I receive more information.

DX 1/10/17 Ta HG papillary tumor 1cm in size.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to add attachements.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne

Users

Total Online: 0 Users and 321 Guests 

Statistics

Total Messages: 50868 Total Sections: 1 Today Open: 1 Today Total Answer: 3
Total Subjects: 6518 Total Categories: 11 Yesterday Open: 1 Yesterday Total Answer: 2
Total Users: 7780 Latest User: sjhatch2024
Powered by Kunena Forum