Forum

× click the New Topic button to post

mitomycin treatments

2 years 2 months ago #51959 by F7R8
Thanks for the input. I have been doing a lot of research and am going to get a second opinion for sure. Everything I am reading suggests that BCG may be a better option for me. It is time to do something different.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 years 2 months ago #51943 by Jack R
F7

The following article may shed some light on the decision to use one treatment rather than another. This article offers just one point of view, HOWEVER, the first named author is Donald Lamm, a long time BCG researcher who is highly respected. I found the article to be a new twist from the doctor best know for BCG protocols.

Always question your doc about YOUR treatment, and, as was suggested, you may want to seek a second opinion.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/514530_3

Best
Jack

What's with this Bleeding ? 6/2015
DX: HG Papillary & CIS
2 Years and 24 BCG/BCG+Inf
T0 CIS comes back.
BC clear as of 5/17 !
RCC found in my one (only) kidney 10/17
Begin Chemo; Cisplatin and Gemzar
8/18 begin Chemo , round 3

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 years 2 months ago #51942 by sara.anne
Why is your doctor recommending mitomycin instead of BCG? According to what I read, BCG is much more effective. A few years ago there was a real shortage of BCG and many patients could not get it, but that appears to be over now.

Have you considered getting a second opinion? A third recurrence is nothing to be casual about. It might be a good idea to get a second opinion at a place that sees LOTS of bladder cancer patients and is aware of the best treatment options.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator
The following user(s) said Thank You: F7R8

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 years 2 months ago #51941 by F7R8
I was diagnosed in July of 2014 with a 2.5 cm Ta N0 mo. I had a TURBT in Aug. of 2014 with a mitomycin treatment. I had one re-occurrence 9 months post op where a small (3mm) tumor was removed, biopsied, and the tissue burned out outpatient immediately following the cysto while still in the chair.

This morning the process repeated (now the second re-occurrence). We are still awaiting the results of the biopsy and tomorrow I will go for a C scan.
My doc is suggesting a 6 wk course of mitomycin. If the biopsy comes back positive.
It seems like there is a higher success rate (lower re-occurrance) with BCG rather than mitomycin. Has anyone else gone this route?
If so, what can I expect?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to add attachements.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: Cynthiaeddiek

Users

Total Online: 0 Users and 566 Guests 

Statistics

Total Messages: 50831 Total Sections: 1 Today Open: 0 Today Total Answer: 2
Total Subjects: 6513 Total Categories: 11 Yesterday Open: 3 Yesterday Total Answer: 9
Total Users: 7771 Latest User: Rev
Powered by Kunena Forum