Dr. Sexton @ Moffitt is my doctor, and he is very respected. I am five years out, and I am pleased with his care.
I can tell you, if you tell him your concerns he will listen and give you his opinion. He has always answered my concerns.
Normally, it is after the six week course of BCG before the next cysto. Alan is absolutely right about the bladder needing to heal before the next cysto. If it is inflamed the doctor really can't see much and it can be painful. After the first 6 week dose and the cysto, then you would be on the maintenance schedule which is three doses and cysto at the three month mark.
6 years 11 months ago - 6 years 11 months ago#43520by Alan
As many others will say, we are sorry your husband has joined out "club" but, there are a lot of hope and success stories here plus there are many more knowledgable than me. First, while I don't know much about Moffit, I have read many say it is a very well respected bladder cancer center. The 3 month cysto is usually done after the second TURB for two reasons. The all clear from the path report is one plus the doctor when he peeks in there he is looking for any "suspicious" areas anyway as he does the procedure-so it looks like you are good to go for awhile (3 months). Plus, after BCG they want the bladder to "heal" or go back to normal after treatments as many times it will be inflamed for awhile. You were well advised to have that 2nd TURB and second opinion! That is standard care.
DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.
Two months ago my husband was given his dx of bladder cancer after initial TUR done by a local uro. The dx was stage 2 high grade TCC and although RC was recommended by the uro, a referral was given for 2nd opinion with Dr Sexton at Moffit. Since the tumor was small (2.6 cm), focally invasive, no CIS, the question of bladder preservation options was mentioned. The pathology slides from TUR were re-reviewed by Moffit and good news - no evidence of muscle invasion was found. Dr. Sexton completed a 2nd look TUR a little over a week ago and pathology was good. No residual tumor, muscle looked good, no suspicious areas were found. The treatment recommended is now BCG, and we have a follow up appointment this week to discuss. I know that cysto will be done every three months, but will that be scheduled 90 days from the second TURBT or from the first TURBT when the tumor was removed? My concern with this is that I have heard of disease progression during BCG that was missed. Since BCG is for 6 weeks and may not start for another 2 weeks, that is a lot of time since his cancer was first detected.