Gina...since you've already started the BCG i would go ahead and finish it...and hopefully the 3 month check up will be clean. Please don't spend your time worrying ...i'm sorry i didn't realize you had already started treatments...I think i got caught up in LTS posts. It gets confusing sometimes. Pat
thanks so much to you both...should i ask about having another one...i mean...what if?...sheesh...now i'm bothered by this...should i just complete the bcg and then request one?...they were talking about waiting THREE MONTHS before doing another cysto..to check on things...
If you don't mind me jumping in (I know you posed your question to Pat), my own local Urologist told me that it is very hard "to get it all" and I was scheduled for Re Turb on my first visit a week after original TURB. My tumor was termed as a "whopper" so I don't know if that made the difference.
Everything I read on the NET recommends a Re Turb for residual tumor. I'm glad my Doctor made the decision for me.
Age - 55
T1 G3 - Tumor free 2 yrs 3 months
Dx January 2006
Gina....Publication: Urology Times
Publication Date: 01-AUG-07
Delivery: Immediate Online Access
Author: Gebhart, Fred
Anaheim, CA -- A two-step transurethral resection (TURB) procedure in patients with superficial transitional bladder cancer, already part of practice guidelines in Germany, appears to improve patient outcomes by identifying positive tumor beds that may require a second TURB, according to findings from a Swiss study.
"These guidelines were put in place to give sufficient data for accurate staging of the tumor," Osama Shahin, MD, senior physician at the University Hospital Basel Urologic Clinic in Switzerland, told colleagues at the AUA annual meeting
I think with the major centers this is becomming routine to do a second TURB..but i have no idea what they are doing in the UK. A young uro doesn't mean a bad uro just one who hasn't seen a lot of this. Pat
if i understand you correctly...YOU made the decision to have the second turb...?...is this something we should consider routinely?...i am not sure that i am totally confident with my uro...she's in a great practice with several TOP docs in our area...BUT, she is the newbie and quite young...anyway..thanks again for all your help...gina
OK Gina..thats good that you got the path report. The transitional cell carcinoma high grade...CIS is always high grade...but all treatable with BCG.....but..there's always a but.....i would if its possible in the UK to get a second opinion and a second TURB. Often residual tumor is left behind....may be the skill of the surgeon..may be reseeding of the original tumor....they like to keep you guessing on that one. Anyway its all treatable with BCG but you must be very dilligent about follow ups. The reason my second biopsy was only 9 days after my first TURB was my head was in a spin and i allowed the first Uro/surgeon that my internist recommended do my surgery as i was quite frightened and truthfully all brain cells were dead momentarily. I made the decision once the fog cleared to travel to one of the top cancer centers and top surgeons for Bladder Cancer. They got me in within a week and one look at the specimen on the slide it was determined it was a lousy specimen..thus the second TURB so soon. The man was a master at what he was doing..I had no ill effects...was only out about 20mins...woke up..they took out the cath as all was clear...i peed in a cup...and i walked out feeling just great. My surgeon got all the margins that were left by the previous surgeon and all that had gone into just the first layer of muscle.
It was invasive and i did have to have a cystectomy but its now 5 l/2 yrs later and that was one of the best decisions i ever made. Pat