× click new topic to begin your post

should he see an oncologist as well...2nd opinion

5 years 5 months ago #47689 by sara.anne
So sorry to hear about your husband. He is lucky to have you fighting for him!

Whether or not you get a second opinion is sometimes a complicated question. First, where are you located, geographically? It may be that there are other good places closer to where you live.

Second, what are the qualifications of the urologist you are seeing? How much bladder cancer does he treat? Many urologists are very competent in this area....others mostly treat prostate issues and only an occasional bladder cancer patient. This would be a critical question if bladder removal is recommended. If that is the case, you need to be sure that the surgeon does many of these and is very experienced in this. You shouldn't be hesitant to ask these questions.... you wouldn't take your car to a mechanic for a major overhaul if he had never done this, or done very few!!

Normally an oncologist is consulted when chemotherapy is recommended either prior to, or after, bladder removal. They are not experienced in the initial treatment of bladder cancer, as it is usually treated by urologists.

Hope that this helps a little.....

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator
The following user(s) said Thank You: missjoan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

5 years 5 months ago #47688 by missjoan
My husband is 82 and was diagnosed with bladder cancer through was golf ball size and it is considered invasive as it penetrated the fatty tissue...Urologist altho still running tests, has suggested he would have to have his bladder removed...there may be other complications which will change the whole process BUT what I am asking is....would you get a 2nd opinion? I have tried to get him into some place like Sloan Kettering but there is no way we could afford it (need a place to stay so I can be with him)they indicate you need a variety of care...dieticians, oncologist, etc and then there is head is spinning as my heart is aching..any advice will
be welcome

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to add Files.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne


Total Online: 1 User and 2218 Guests 
musicplay's Avatarmusicplay

Legend: Site Administrator Global Moderator User Banned


Today Total Opened: 1 Today Total Answered: 4 Latest User: zanife90
Yesterday Total Opened: 2 Yesterday Total Answered: 3
Total Posts: 53700 Total Subjects: 7031 Total Users: 8728