I appreciate your reply in my topic/thread. Hoping for the best for you, mate. I am impressed by how fast the system got you through everything there in the UK. From initial blood on October 28, to cysto 2 weeks later, to TURBT on Dec. 14? Seems the system works. I mean, here in the US, it was also two weeks from presentation to cysto, so neither better nor worse. Guess that must be considered the appropriate standard.
Finalman, I wish you well. Your fiancé sounds like a gem.
My husband had BCG treatments we are now waiting until December 21 for a scope to see "if " the treatments were a success. Has anyone had incontince problems after the BCG and scopes. Even with Mybetriq prescribed?
Alan, thank you for sharing, it is extremely helpful.
Knifedealer, I hope all is going well, good luck with the Pathology results!
Just had my CT Urogram so I think it's now a countdown to the pre-op after the CT results have been checked out. I'm nervous about the op but more so the catheter and peeing post-op! The flexible cystoscopy was definitely not as "pain free" as family members have told me!
Obviously still hoping for a good result on the pathology and I think a TaG1 or maybe even G2 would be a pretty good result in my head, I just want to know what it is!
1 year 1 month ago - 1 year 1 month ago#56288by Knifedealer
Welcome Finalman2. Unlike Alan (whose contributions I find very helpful), I'm new to this. I had a cystoscopy over 8 weeks ago. For about 2 years my PSA level was all over the map. I was having minor urinary problems and my prostate gland is "moderately enlarged." My urologist wanted to have a look inside to determine the extent to which the urethra had narrowed where it passes through the prostate. While there, it made perfect sense to have a look at my bladder and viola, as plain as day a tumor appeared on the monitor. Seven weeks later a TURBT was performed and two tumors were found and removed.
You indicated that you "don't know how to deal with this being thrown at me." I can relate. I am making a conscious effort not to get ahead of myself. While admittedly I've investigated what the worst case may hold, I've not obsessed over this (by spending hours and hours reading medical literature, studies, personal accounts, etc.). I'm finding the cliche "take it one day at a time" to be very much appropriate for me on this journey. Next up for me, a meeting with urologist Thursday to discuss pathology report.
I'm curious as to what prompted a cystoscopy in your case?
Finally, at around 55 years of age my dad was diagnosed with bladder cancer. It was around 1972. From what I recall, he had surgery and tumor(s) were removed along with "part of his bladder." He had radiation treatments as well. I remember dad wouldn't go anywhere without knowing the location of the nearest restroom as well as the closest barroom. I vaguely remember being told he had a 50% chance of living until 60. He died at 70 from complications entirely unrelated to bladder cancer and directly related to the bar room. There is hope. Plenty of it.
Best to you.
Last edit: 1 year 1 month ago by Knifedealer. Reason: Added "next up for me..."
1 year 1 month ago - 1 year 1 month ago#56282by Alan
I don't know what the exact cause of death but, he was 87 when he passed. I'd say that was pretty good since he was DX with BC 35-40 years earlier. As mentioned, MOST of us with pass from something else.
After your TURB and scan next Tuesday, and once you have the pathology report THEN you will know what game plan is in store. Even the possibility it isn't cancer. I can't stress enough this is treatable AND beatable. You will get through this.
DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.
Don't answer if it's too personal but was it BC that eventually got your uncle?
It's the long term I've been worried by. Everything I have done to this moment is to ensure both stability and security on the financial, physical and safety side of my future family so when I got this DX, it suddenly felt like I may be going down the route of that being dragged away from me. (Very over dramatic I know but my brain is very analytical so it's gone overdrive here)
Like many people have said, one step at a time. I've got to deal with the facts about my individual DX rather than the 'what ifs'.