Thank you Alan for the document. My dad had his appointment this morning and found that the roto rooter procedure did not get all of the TCC and that there is "extensive involvement of prostate gland by small lymphocytic lymphoma" (SLL). we knew he has CLL so finding SLL in his prostate wasn't a total surprise. His urologist referred him to DR. S. Daneshmand at USC. We are hoping the insurance company will accept the referral so we can get in to see him ASAP.
Alan, thanks for your response. My sister and I will be at his appointment this Friday and will come up with a list of questions for the doctor. I am sure the pathologists report will generate more questions for us.
Welcome! Sorry your Dad is having problems but, we are with you! Pat yourself on the back as a caregiver to him. He is fortunate to have a caring son! I lost my Dad 10 years ago at age 88 and never regret the extra time and travel to visit him.
Your question on a cystoprostectomy. My gut reaction is that would be a suggestion that will be talked about at your appointment. At the same time I leave all of that to the healthcare professionals as they say, their pay grade is way above mine!. USC would be a good place to get further prognosis as his case has become "complicated". You want the best in this situation plus it would be almost like a second opinion.
Come back anytime with any questions. No subject is off limits and many times someone has been there and done that with help.
DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.
My 81 y.o. dad was diagnosed with bladder cancer (TCC) in 2015. Since that time he has had two procedures to remove tumors (G3 – High Grade) in his bladder. He has also gone through two rounds of BCG therapy. Two weeks ago he was having blood in his urine so the urologist went back into his bladder to look and take samples.
Per the pathology report his bladder was free of cancer but the prostate lumen biopsy showed "poorly differentiated carcinoma with squamous differentiation and extensive tumor necrosis." So the TCC has moved to his prostate. The urologist categorized it as T3 or T4. Yesterday the urologist went back in to scrape (roto rooter) his prostate to attempt to remove the cancerous cells. He had discussed prostate/bladder removal but wanted to do the scrapping first. He said there was no evidence of the cancer in his prostate as of March 2017 so this invasion is recent. My dad will find out next week the results of the pathology from this procedure. The urologist was planning on doing a Blue Dye procedure in his bladder prior to the latest treatment but now needs to wait or 4 weeks after the catheter has been revoked to perform this procedure.
I assume if there is still evidence of the carcinoma on the prostate the urologist will refer him to a local university (possibly USC) for further treatment most likely removal of the prostate and bladder. The urologist said he has already consulted with USC regarding my dad’s situation and would recommend USC depending on insurance.
My question is: If the pathologist report shows the cancer cells have been removed from the prostate would removing the prostate/bladder be an option as a preventative measure?
I will be at my dad’s appointment next week but just wanted some input from other people’s experience.