2 years 3 months ago - 2 years 3 months ago#52264by DougG
A discussion with your MD would be a good idea. Doug usually took off 2 weeks when having TURBT surgery. When he's had to have a catheter, he definitely would wait until that was out before returning to work and he wanted to be at the point where he could go 1 hour between bathroom breaks before returning to work.
Doug did not take off during BCG treatments, but did schedule them on Fridays to have the weekend to recover.
Just another opinion...everyone is different.
Best wishes with your surgery,
Last edit: 2 years 3 months ago by DougG. Reason: remove double name
I concur with Alan's reply. You won't know much of anything until your TURBT and Path report. In my case the procedure took all of one day and the next day I was glad to be at home. However, after my second day I was feeling pretty much normal (with slight burning while urinating). I would definitely suggest that you get some AZO prior to your procedure and take ASAP - it definitely helps. Also get your doc to prescribe the antibiotics and pain pills prior so you can have them on hand after the procedure.
Thank goodness for everyone on the forum - they will help you get past the initial shock of diagnosis. For me that has been the biggest issue. I am scheduled for a second TURBT in Dec. which is pretty common for my DX and not at all concerned about the procedure itself - my first one though I was freaking out!
Alan 's suggestions are spot on - but really hard for those of us with a type a personality to follow that advice. We need to know the next 4 steps ahead and plan for all contingencies. You need to work through this BC one step at a time.
The TURBT will cost you a day or two, depending on how you respond/recover from general anesthesia, and how much bleeding there is afterwards. A couple of weeks or so late, there MAY be a day or so lost as the scabs come off and there is additional bleeding. No one can predict how YOU will be impacted.
If your work involves heavy labor, you will may lose more time than if you have a desk job. Again, it is all variable until you see how it goes.
You might want to tell the boss that you MAY expect to need a few days off, planned and/or unplanned, here an there until you have a better idea of what lies ahead. You should be available via phone or computer during most of those times.
Until you get the pathology report back - up to a week - you really can't form a plan. The good news is that BC caught early is highly responsive to treatment, and that it does not have to have an impact on work. You will know a lot more shortly.
Bottom line, I gave you a long answer to a question that has too many individual variables to answer properly. Try to take it one step at a time. None of the rest of us were able to do the step thing, but it's the best advice we have to offer.
What's with this Bleeding ? 6/2015
DX: HG Papillary & CIS
3 Years and 30 BCG/BCG+Inf
Tis CIS comes back.
BC clear as of 5/17 !
RCC found in my one (only) kidney 10/17
Begin Chemo; Cisplatin and Gemzar
8/18 begin Chemo , round 3
Begin year 4 with cis
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alan, sb1409
I do need to remind myself to take it one day at a time at this point, but it's not easy. So many thoughts about what needs to be done next and then the what ifs. Hate putting my wife through this trouble but she's a trooper and thank God for her.
2 years 3 months ago - 2 years 3 months ago#52260by Alan
Welcome. We are glad you found us but sorry for the reason the be here!
I would simply take one day at a time on this bladder cancer. I was in your shoes 8+ years ago with a papillary (mushroom like) tumor. I won't say it was a cake walk but, as I look back it was simply a medium bump in the road. Disability? As we aren't doctors I would defer to your doctor and your companies sick leave policy. I continued to work albeit there were a few days I was slow as I received BCG as a treatment. However, let's not get ahead of ourselves. Wait and see what the TURB and pathology say. Some don't even take any treatment except cystoscopes as a "wait and watch/monitoring". The TURB? I did take the rest of the day off as it was done early in the day and I had very little discomfort other than cramping. Depending on what they see and do while in there will determine if you need an extra day or two. For many of us, although not all, it is a non event. Just a quick heads up, a second TURB is often scheduled as a confirming diagnosis and as a precautionary move. None of this makes the wait any easier but, you are on your way to beating this taking these steps.
Keep us informed on what your TURB says!
DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.
My name is Ben and I'm newly diagnosed (1 cm, mushroom shaped) with surgery on Nov. 9th for my first TURBT. I'm 65 yrs old and am in good physical shape except for the BC. I'm seeking advice on whether to continue to work during treatment or go on short term disability through my employer or is this the kind of decision made by the MD?