Forum

× Welcome click the New Topic button to post

Recently Diagnosed and Frustrated!

2 years 5 months ago #51332 by Hudsongrl
Paula, yes almost positive the fistula would make you not a good candidate for mitomycin. However, knowing nothing about either doc you are seeing, choose whoever you think is most competent at removal. The removal and getting the margins clean is important. A good question to ask, as we learned, is how mant TURBTS do you do a year? Our first uro did 30. Our oncologist/uro does well over 200. Keep us posted. Wealth of info from folks here.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 years 5 months ago #51331 by PaulaMM
Thanks for steering me in the right direction! After digging a little more I see that Mitomycin is contraindicated if there is a perforation and I am guessing that would include a fistula. I Did get a call back from the Uro's office today was not expecting one, but even the nurse was confused as to why I was not getting it (mitomycin), she said they always do it! So I think that explains it. I will be calling on Monday to ask a few more questions, but I think I am pretty sure I'll just go with the original Dr for the TURBT and then have the second opinion done afterwards to make sure we are all on the right track!

Thanks,
Paula

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 years 5 months ago #51321 by PaulaMM
At this point it is still scheduled. I will have the weekend to do a little more research as the dr is not in the office until Monday to answer any of my questions. If they can't do the Mitomycin because of the fistula, I may as well have the first turbt done with the original Dr and at least get things staged and going. I have the fistula causing a constant UTI and that will not be fixed until they have an idea what is going on.

Paula

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 years 6 months ago #51320 by Hudsongrl
Are you still having TURBT done with first doc or waiting to see what UofM says? We had a TURBT schefuled with local doc and after researching further we decided to cancel and move on to the uro/ oncologist we see at Northwestern now. In hindsight it was a good decision for us. First uro was not well versed in bladder cancer:( he did more UTI's, erectile dysfunction, vasectomies etc.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 years 6 months ago #51319 by Hudsongrl
Great! Glad they are getting you in so fast!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 years 6 months ago #51318 by PaulaMM
Thanks Hudsongrl,

Wow!! UofM works faster then I figured... they have already called and I am scheduled on the 27th of June! I guess maybe the mitomycin treatment is something I need to research a little more... *sighs* I guess I can never do something simple... lol

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to add attachements.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: Cynthiaeddiek

Users

Total Online: 0 Users and 462 Guests 

Statistics

Total Messages: 50831 Total Sections: 1 Today Open: 0 Today Total Answer: 2
Total Subjects: 6513 Total Categories: 11 Yesterday Open: 3 Yesterday Total Answer: 9
Total Users: 7771 Latest User: Rev
Powered by Kunena Forum