We plan on discussing this with him after we get the lab results back. We want to be able to give him as much information as possible. We did not want to just say that it is cancer without any real answers for him. On another note I had surgery one week ago today last night I began passing blood and blood clots seems like a lot of blood and I am still passing it today it is been A little over 12 hours as anybody else experienced this
3 years 4 months ago - 3 years 4 months ago#51379by DougG
What did you decide about telling your 13 year old son? Our son was 14 and our daughter was 16 when my husband was diagnosed with bladder cancer. We told both of them of the diagnosis. I would think it would be hard to hide when you had surgery. Only you and your spouse can make the decision as to what and when to tell your son. Both of our kids handled it well and were not overly worried at that time. Our kids are 29 and 31 now.
Last edit: 3 years 4 months ago by DougG. Reason: taking out double name - my own entry
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lupenbill, dani
3 years 5 months ago - 3 years 5 months ago#51360by Lupenbill
I had the procedure done to remove the tumor on Thursday 6/16 It really did not seem that bad not too much discomfort doctor said everything looks good it was caught extremely early still waiting for the lab results for definite confirmation On just exactly what it was. Still having a lot of back and hip pain I'm hoping it's just a coincidence I have had this type of pain before especially since I do a lot of physical labor. They did do a CAT scan I'm thinking if there was anything in my hips or spine or back they would've caught it it did say osseous structures no lesions so I'm thinking and hoping it's just a coincidence
Ditto! They thought mine was low grade as well. The one thing they were spot on about was the stage, but I think this was more due to size. TURBT is easy and simple. Recovery can be a little slow - but AZO is your friend!!!
Getting the TURB done is a good 1st step. I remember my URO thought my papillary tumor looked low grade but, it turned out high grade. I say this only to wait until you have the path report. I understand most papillary tumors are low grade. Also, a second TURB is often done to be sure "margins" are good. I originally thought he had goofed up and learned this was practicing good protocol! The important item is you are on your way to planning, attacking and beating this! Also, to reassure you that there is light at the end of the tunnel. I am 8+ years out.
DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.
Today at noon I am scheduled for A turbt. The doc said he thinks it is a papillary ta of 5mm. I am very nervous that it could be more. I wonder how accurate Visual grading is as he said he does not have the lab reports back and will not till after this procedure but he seemed extremely confident that this was in his words a garden-variety tumor. Hoping he is right the outlook for that is extremely good.