Forum

× Welcome click the New Topic button to post

Where to get the TURBT done?

2 years 10 months ago #50555 by jenfang
Thanks much!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 years 10 months ago #50503 by jenfang
Thanks Alan! Appreciate it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 years 10 months ago #50502 by Alan
Just to give you some more peace of mind, I concur with Sara Anne. She has great advice. Also, 19 years of experience from your URO is a plus. Good luck.

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jenfang

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 years 10 months ago #50501 by jenfang
HI Sara Anne,

I can't thank you enough for your thoughts on this! I think we might try to get the TURB scheduled a bit earlier (since my mom has been getting so worried).

Thank you!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 years 10 months ago #50495 by sara.anne
My advice......get that TURB done now!!. The urologist will remove as much of the tumor as he can and it will be sent to a pathologist for microscopic analysis. Only after the path report comes back (and you should ask for a copy) will you even know for sure that it IS cancer.
A TURB is a relatively simple procedure and can get that tumor out of there.

After the TURB and its results are discussed with you, you will have a better idea of what the situation is and make a decision then as to whether or not you need to go to a place like MSK. Often, if it is not a simple papillary tumor, a second TURB is done to be sure of the diagnosis. And yes, bladder cancer IS expensive to treat, partly because it has a bad habit of returning.

And remember that Medicare does not pay the entire bill, which is why most people have supplemental insurance to cover the deductibles.

Best of luck to you and your mom.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator
The following user(s) said Thank You: jenfang

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 years 10 months ago - 2 years 10 months ago #50494 by jenfang
Hello,

My mom and I are looking for some help, as we've been researching far too much (and given a lot of contradictory advice), and would really appreciate people's thoughts on where to get a TURBT procedure.

Here is the medical/insurance background: My mom had a cytoscopy on Jan 6th and the urologist spotted a tumor. The urologist thought it was small (<0.5cm) and looked to be low-grade. He then scheduled her TURBT for Feb 11th, so she has not been diagnosed yet. My mom has Kaiser HMO and lives in Denver, CO, and went to the Good Samaritan Hospital in Lafeyette, which I believe is affiliated with the Cancer Centers of America. Her urologist has 19 years of experience. She will have Medicare coverage in April/May 1st, which means that she can come to NYC (where I live), and have access to other hospitals.

Here are the contradictory advices: we were told by other hospitals (Sloan and University of CO Hospital) to have the TURBT done at Good Samaritan before searching for a 2nd opinion, especially if medicare coverage starts later (and they strongly suggest we don't go out of payment as we are not that rich). But our friends and family strongly suggest that we go to the more renowned hospitals as soon as possible for the TURBT.

My thoughts: I thought the TURBT is a common procedure, and we should wait for the diagnosis before getting a second opinion. However, I want to ask: should we either wait until April/May 1st for the medicare before getting the TURBT at a more renowned facility (which doesn't seem right to wait for so long), or ask for a second opinion in Kaiser (or at other hospitals) before the TURBT (but there is no diagnosis yet). Finally, is the TURBT something that's fairly important and that there is a difference between who's performing it that we should just bite the bullet and pay out of pocket?

We really would appreciate people's thoughts as this is driving us neurotic before we even get the diagnosis!

Thanks so much in advance for any thoughts on this.

Jen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to add attachements.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne

Users

Total Online: 1 User and 320 Guests 
Scared's AvatarScared

Legend: Site Administrator Global Moderator Moderator Banned User Guest

Statistics

Total Messages: 50850 Total Sections: 1 Today Open: 0 Today Total Answer: 3
Total Subjects: 6515 Total Categories: 11 Yesterday Open: 1 Yesterday Total Answer: 11
Total Users: 7773 Latest User: WoundNurse
Powered by Kunena Forum