Thank you for your reply. He told me they removed a tumor already last week when he was there and then made their recommendations. He is very guarded with what he tells me and I am so scared. We lost my Mom just 18 months ago so I think that is why he is being this way but I wish he would be more open. I am very very scared.
Welcome and sorry your Dad has our problem but, there are many caring and answering people on this forum. Mayo is certainly a well respected hospital so that is a plus. I had to google parotid cancer (salivary glands I discovered). 11 years later is unlikely these two are related so treating bladder will certainly be different. I am surprised chemo and bladder are recommended before a Pet Scan (I am not a doctor) but, I assume other diagnostic tests confirmed the bladder cancer such as a cystoscope, CT Scan and a TURB (a surgery to stage and confirm via pathology)? If your Dad's diagnosis is stage 2 or higher the protocol is removal. However removal isn't the end of things,. There are many survivors of many years on this board and I am sure some will chime in. Your Dad is fortunate he has a daughter that cares and it is certainly good that you are there to help, ask questions and encourage. Please check this web site also as many additional topics and issues are addressed here.
DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.
Hi, my name is Tammie. My dad survived stage 3 parotid cancer in 2003 and has been going back to the mayo clinic since then. A few months ago he told me he was having back pain, sever constipation, and blood in his urine. He made an appointment with the Mayo and was diagnosed with bladder cancer last week. He is reluctant to tell me a lot because he is very protective and I am his only child. He finally told me that he is going back for a Pet scan july 9th and that the Mayo clinic oncologist recommended chemo and bladder removal. He also said they told him if untreated he would have less than a year. I am so scared and confused. I insisted on coming with him to his appointment July 9th even though he does not want me too. I am so scared. If my Dad gets chemo will his life be prolonged? We just my Mom September of 2012 and I am so scared. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.