Ya I think it's good news too...I've had a few hours to let it sink in and I'm finally not feeling like the walking dead. First time in three months!! If I had to have the Chemo and then the Rx there was a good chance I would have had to sell my boat to cover all the bills while I couldn't fish. Now I will be able to make salmon season and start to dig my self out this hole that three months of medical bills has dug. They called me back and told me I start treatment March 9th through April 12th....salmon season starts May 1st.
Thank you everyone for the support and answers to scary questions, it has really helped! This whole time I've been able to hold it together emotionally for the past three months until today, I guess the relief from the 2nd pathology finally got to me and it came out. Not cured, just the beginning but at least I feel better. Warrren.
I think this is GOOD news, Warren!!!
And the difference between chemo and BCG? Chemo is given systemically and uses drugs that directly attack the cancer cells....as well as other cells. This is why it often causes hair loss and other bodily problems.
BCG is a biological agent (a modified tuberculosus bacterium) that is instilled directly into the bladder...not systemically to the entire body. It apparently causes the cells in the lining of the bladder to initiate an immune response to the bacteria, and, as a result, the bladder cancer cells localized there are also disrupted/destroyed. A very unique type of treatment for a cancer.
Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Yes, BCG is the "gold standard". While it also beats chemo and works 80%+ of the time. No one really knows why but it stimulates the immune system. While BCG has side effects, most are tolerable. Also, waiting until you heal is also proper. You will do just fine. Almost everyone on this forum have been through it!
DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.
I just got back from the doctors office with the pathology report. It said "no malignancy identified" but that there was a thickenning of the epithelium. But I quess that could be caused by the first TURBT.
The doctor wants to start the BCG treatments in 3-4 weeks after I heal up a little...I guess this is good. Growing up in Minnesota you expect the worst and even now I am still waiting for the other shoe to drop.
So I am still "Stage 1", T1-G3...so does this make sense, the BCG instead of the Chemo or/and a RX? Thanks, Warren.