The plan at my consult for what was thought to be T1 high grade TCC was first day meet with urologist and have lab work, next day was pre-op for repeat turbt (also would have done scans, except I brought them with me), and day 3 was scheduled for turbt, which I refused since I only came for a treatment discussion. I think they plan for a week based on that sort of schedule and to allow for possible delays. The hotel we stayed at was very understanding about the schedule as we obviously left earlier than planned. Since we used the air scheduling service provided for by MDA, we were also able to change flights for early departure. Hope all goes well.
I'm guessing MD Anderson wouldn't do that without you knowing up front. At least I would hope not. Who wants to go in for a TURBT and come out with a neo. I'd expect they'd set a longer expectation than a week if someone is coming from out of town if cystectomy was in the cards for this first visit.
I could certainly be wrong but it does seem an unlikely scenario unless MD Anderson has already said something about that.
It would be worth asking them now what the plan is and why the week long stay though.
There are a lot of places that have good motels. One below is really on campus: http://www.mdanderson.org/patient-and-cancer-information/guide-to-md-anderson/services-and-amenities/rotary-house-international/index.html.
Also, here is their home page if you don't have it: http://www.mdanderson.org/patient-and-cancer-information/care-centers-and-clinics/care-centers/genitourinary/index.html
DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.
I forgot to answer your main question. The driving distance is less than 4 hours so I'd suggest driving. Even though they work for an airline, it still takes time with security and waiting around and baggage claim, etc. All in, it is probably shorter time just driving and they will then have mobility in Houston in their own vehicle rather than having to rent.
It all depends on what procedure(s) they have planned.
MD Anderson is one of the top places in the country for bladder cancer treatment so it is great that they are going there.
You'd be surprised how hard some people need to be pushed to do what your mom and stepdad are already doing.
They should call the doctor and ask what procedures are planned. With that information, we may be able to provide a little insight.
My guess would be that they are likely planning a follow up TURBT. That's another biopsy like he already had. Bladder cancer is often understaged so they may be checking that. Usually, MD Anderson will also want to see the slides that were done from his last TURBT.