I had a delay of 8 months in diagnosis my tumour was diagnosed as a blood clot, then 8 months later as a tumour. Am doing fine now, last check clear next check next week. My doctor said most blc fairly slow to develop, I don·t think 5 weeks too much to worry about. Try and enjoy Christmas without worrying too much.
All the best , Flamenco
I have had 3 TURBS, and 2 of the 3 were a 4 week wait, and 1 because of a cancellation was 2 weeks. So 5 weeks does not seem out of the ordinary.
I wish you both all the best. Try not to worry and enjoy the up-coming holidays. Merry Christmas.
TA Grade 1
30 BCG Treatments
Cancer Free since Nov 2007
I agree that 5 weeks to surgery is not too long a wait, especially if there is a strong likelihood of a single not high grade tumor. When I had my first symptoms (gross hematuria), I think it was about 6 weeks from my first visit to my primary care doctor until I had the TURB. However, this was considered very fast, as they managed to get me into the urologist quickly (we have a shortage of urologists where I live) and the urologist was kind enough to squeeze me in as soon as he could for the TURBT because we had a trip planned to Europe. Two years later (early this past June) I had a recurrence when I went for my 3-month cysto, and had the TURBT done about 5 weeks later.
Besides the cysto, has your husband had any other testing, e.g. urine cytology? Usually evidence of possible bladder cancer does not show up in the urine if the cancer is low grade, but does if it's higher grade. If his cytology was negative, all the more reason for at least some reassurance that what he has is low grade. (Before having my initial cystoscopy, my regular doctor had had cytology done and a CT scan; cytology was negative, but the small tumor was visible on the CT. Flat tumors -- CIS --wouldn't be visible on the CT, however.)
Best of luck to your husband.
Small TA Grade 1, May-06; recur (2 tiny), same, June-08; TURBTs both times. BCG begun July-08, dosage to 1/3rd May-10, completed treatment December-11. All clear since 2008.
I don't know .. maybe i was one of the lucky ones...after gross hematura i was scoped within 4 days and had my first TURB the following week. Second opinion at MSK in NYC 9 days later with a second TURB which got all residual tumor and margins.
Saw an informal survey on web/cafe on delays in diagnosis...thought it was very interesting.....
Who knows how fast a tumor grows?...or what stage or grade it is by looking at an ultrasound or a CT for that matter. Mine was barely visible but it was pretty lethal as it turns out.
When my initial cystoscopy showed some suspicious spots, my TURB was scheduled for six weeks later (I had a long-scheduled trip to Antarctica coming up.) My uro said that the time would not make any difference in prognosis "even if it is cancer." Had the first TURB late this past January and a second in mid February...then didn't have BCG for the CIS until I had healed from the TURBs in April. Doing fine.
Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society