THanks again! We are looking at our options at the moment, traveling for a 2nd opinion could be a big possibility now, I will definitely contact that hospital on Monday, the choice in Ireland is quite limited, from reading this website I feel that if my dad opts for surgery we need to look into surgeons as like all professionals, practice makes perfect and at this point I'm not sure how many cysectomys the surgeons here complete per year...
How are you finding your Indiana Pouch? How is your daily life post surgery?
Thanks for all ye're thoughts and replies, so nice to hear from ye :'(
Have a few more questions;
Grampadonuts mention of SK being the best has got me thinking and doing a bit of research, do ye think it'd be worth us looking at getting a 2nd opinion from there, its only a 6 hour flight from here, world is small now I think the docs here in Ireland are fairly limited in experience of neobladders and I see SK do 250 per year...Holly says surgeon is large part of the battle so spending time in US would be worth it if it meant op was a success and my dad gets his life back cancer free! what do ye think?!!
Fearandflight, I see you opted for Indiana pouch, why did you decide to go with this option? how are you since your RC? How is your life now?
P.S: Granpa how did you go about getting an appointment in SK, is there a large waiting list and what info did you send to SK to get a 2nd opinion?
I rang a doc here in Ireland yesterday and his receptionist said his next apt is Sept???? ARe they serious, its peoples lives they're dealing with > Sorry about the rant...
Hello. Sorry you didn't get better news. My experience is with my mother. My opinion (for better or worse) is this: Get the bladder out ASAP. This is often understaged before surgery. In our experience, the cancer had spread to the uterus which they found during surgery. If it is muscle invasive, it really must come out (again, my opinion from much reading etc). Not sure about chemo before. Someone else would know better, but I would think,, if it is already in the muscle, time is of the essence.
Sorry about your dx but with a T2G3 the BCG with a re turb would be out of the question for me. That would be very risky with this stage cancer that is advanced. I had the chemo b4 the RC but that is what my surgeon suggested and myself and wife agreed with his dx doing my treatment this way. Radiation with the chemo was never mentioned to me but I would not of went with the radiation just the chemo (my opinion only). I was a T3G3 and things worked out for me but every case is different. I would also get a second opinion it may or may not change anything but you gotta move fast on this. Now getting the chemo b4 the RC or just going ahead and getting the RC is a call between you and your Dr but the bladder has to go now at this stage. Good Luck, Joe