Sorry about the diagnosis newbie...but i agree with Holly and Rosemary...don't mess around with invasive. If you can get a quick second opinion great. I tried to find cancer centers in Ireland..and didn't come up with a lot...U. Of Pittsburgh here has opened a center in Dublin...not sure of their expertise in bladder cancer but there is a contact number you can call.
Thanks for replying so quickly, nice to know there's people there! Its been a pretty rough day
We are from Ireland, I've read loads on this website (nothing similar in Ireland!)I'm not sure we have as much choice over here, we'd be willing to travel for the best surgeon/results though! I will defo try to get a 2nd opinion over here...and look at options then!
Peter, hate meeting under circumstances but at least we know what each other are going through!! what are you thinking, are you happy to opt for surgery without trying anything else?
Holly, thanks for the reply and thoughts, how are you since neo bladder surgery ?
i'm at the same stage as your dad..am waiting for 2nd opinion from sloan-kettering in nyc
because i feel s/k is the best i probaly will go with what they say
but for now the waiting is awful..i work so i dont think too much
please get 2nd opinion..ASAP
Sorry to hear this is the results..If it was my choice - I would go first for a second opinion even if just having the slides 2nd opinioned. Be sure it is accurate. THen I would persue the surgery at a major facility. The cancer is unpredictable in my opinion - and the consequences significant. Also the skill of the surgeon is likely the largest part of sucessful RC and diversion so I would be willing to travel if neccessary.
I pray for good results whatever path you choose - God Bless, Holly
Got the results this morning of my dads turb, we are just in shock and devastated at the moment! The growth is T2 G3 (I was so positive that I hadnt thought about it being invasive!), on a positive note the CT is clear so the growth is confined to the bladder.
My dad is 55 years old, he had a heart bypass 6 years ago but you wouldnt know it, he's very healthy and very active young man!
We were given 3 options by the doc, the 1st is RC surgery, 2nd is BCG and re-Turb in few months and 3rd is chemo/radiation? I asked for the docs opinion and he said he'd recommend surgery cause my dad is so young...but in ye're experience when is a RC necessary when stage T2? from previous experience is it better to try BCG before opting for surgery??
I would be interested in hearing from people who have been through this?