BCG with Low Grade

7 years 6 months ago #52016 by heather79
Replied by heather79 on topic BCG with Low Grade
I had a very large bladder tumor (required 2 TURBs to remove), and am half way through my first cycle of BCG (not as bad as I thought it would be). My pathology report noted that though 95% was low grade, I had focal high grade features as well which can indicate higher chance for recurrence. I'm also 37, there might have been the instinct to do anything so I can keep my bladder. It's a conversation between you and your doctor because there are so many factors that go into recommending a treatment. Good luck.

Heather
Diagnosed 5/25/2016
First cysto and TURBT 5/23/2016
Nephrostomy placement 5/24/2016
Second cysto and TURBT 6/20/2016
Papillary urothelial carcinoma, mostly low grade
No stromal invasion, no metastasis
Original tumor size (by CT): 7.3 cm x 4.8 cm x 4.8 cm
Starting BCG 8/21/2016

Heather
Dx 5/25/2016, First cysto and TURBT 5/23/2016, 2nd cysto and TURBT 6/20/2016, Original tumor size (by CT): 7.3 cm x 4.8 cm x 4.8 cm, BCG 8/31/2016-10/12/2016,
Cysto 11/15/2016: Recurrence :(, TURBT (#3) 12/5/2016, BCG x 3 weeks, off 1 week x 1 year (end Jan 2018)
Cysto 4/5/17: NED!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 years 6 months ago #52012 by Jack R
Replied by Jack R on topic BCG with Low Grade
Win55,

The following provides an opinion about treatment based on a "risk of recurrence" as well as invasive v non-invasive.

Bladder cancer treatment; non-muscle invasive (superficial) cancer Michael O'Donnell MD
O'Donnell describes three levels of " risk of recurrence" in the section titled " ADJUVANT BLADDER CANCER THERAPY".

www.uptodate.com/contents/bladder-cancer-treatment-non-muscle-invasive-superficial-cancer-beyond-the-basics

This may may provide you some insight, about which you can ask your doctor.

Best
Jack

Note: The author is well known; the website is an unknown to me.

6/2015 HG Papillary & CIS
3 Years and 30 BCG/BCG+Inf
Tis CIS comes back.
BC clear as of 5/17 !
RCC found in my one & only kidney 10/17
Begin Chemo; Cisplatin and Gemzar
8/18 begin Chemo# 3
Begin year 4 with cis
2/19 Chemo #4
9/19 NED again :)
1/2020 CIS is back
Tried Keytruda, stopped by side effects
Workin on a new plan for 2021

7 years 6 months ago #52011 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic BCG with Low Grade
Sometimes it will be prescribed based upon increasing frequency of occurrence. Could also be because of tumor size. These two observations are just what I remember from other threads. None of us are doctors, so there may even be other reasons but, you are correct, I understand that low grade usually doesn't respond well. As most of us will say, if in doubt get a second opinion.

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #52010 by Win55
BCG with Low Grade was created by Win55
I have been told that low grade bladder cancer does not respond well to BCG treatments and is not necessary even if it is recurrent. I know a lot of patients with low grade cancer receive BCG though and I have as well. Anyone know why some doctors treat low grade cancer with BCG and some don't? I have searched the internet and can't find much info on the subject.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne