Question about pathology

7 years 6 months ago #51986 by ntalbot20
Replied by ntalbot20 on topic Question about pathology
Thank you so much Sara Anne! I see him tomorrow.

I have severe endometriosis and was misdiagnosed for years while the disease was causing havoc inside me. Glueing everything together. They thought I could possibly have endo in my bladder, ureter or kidney. I had it on the outside of my bladder and ureter. I'm very skeptical of docs and just wanted some good advice on what should be done next before my appt tomorrow.

Thanks again,
Nicole

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 years 6 months ago #51985 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Question about pathology
Welcome to the Forum! We're glad you found us.

What the path report means? It means that they don't know what is really going on. As you read, there are "atypical" cells present ...that is, cells that don't look normal, ....but do not look malignant. Sometimes a severe infection or other irritation can cause something like this.

The usual procedure in a case like this is to do a second TURB (biopsy) a month or so later with special attention paid to getting really good samples of the areas that are atypical. The first time the urologist is sort of in the dark but the second he knows where to concentrate his efforts and this usually results in a proper diagnosis. A second TURB is considered good medical practice.

In my case, for example, the first TURB showed some low grade papillary TCC as well as some areas of "irritation" with atypical cells. When my urologist did the second TURB, and got really good samples of the "areas of irritation" the diagnosis was CIS...which is high grade and required immediate treatment. I am so glad that he did the second surgery.

You need to discuss this with your urologist.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

7 years 6 months ago #51984 by ntalbot20
Question about pathology was created by ntalbot20
Hello,

I'm new to this site and just wanted some opinions from people who actually have dealt with this. I've had severe pain in my rt kidney, ureter and bladder for over a year along with recurrent, UTI's, pain when urinating, fatigue, nausea. I'm practically disabled from the pain and have had the hardest time finding doctors that I trust. I recently had a diag. ureteroscopy and they found a few suspicious areas. This is what my path report says.....

A. rt. ureteral biopsy: minute fragment of atypical papillary lesion and partially denuded urothelial mucosa with urothelial dysplasia

B. Periureteral biopsy: partially denuded urothelial mucosa and submucosa with squamous metastasis and acute and chronic inflammation. Negative for dysplasia or malignancy.

Comments: The biopsy designated "the right ureteral" consists of two minute fragments of urothelial mucosa and submucosa with partially denuded mucosa.One small fragment shows a papillary configuration with cytologic atypia. The findings fall short of a diagnosis of urothelial carcinoma in-situ, and are best classified as urothelial dysplasia.

I'm so sick of fighting with our medical system and just want a few opinions on what this means. if anything?

Thanks so much!
Nicole

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne