second opinion (pathology) and changing doctors

9 years 3 weeks ago #48590 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic second opinion (pathology) and changing doctors
You certainly have the right idea. To answer your question about when to ditch a doctor where you have no rapport, no confidence...the answer is IMMEDIATELY. With a bladder cancer diagnosis, this doctor is going to be your very best friend for a long time.

I wondered why you chose Dr. Ahmann? I assume you live in Tucson? The Univ of Arizona does not have a particularly robust bladder cancer record. Dr. Ahmann is an internist/oncologist. Usually bladder cancer patients are seen by urologists and only have oncology consults as secondary to urology. If you are able to get to Phoenix, Mayo clinic there as well as Dr. Donald Lamm at BCOncology in Phoenix have excellent credentials in bladder cancer treatment. With your diagnosis from Johns Hopkins, you really need to be treated in a place with LOTS of expertise and where a LOT of patients are seen with diagnoses similar to yours. Perhaps it might be better to schedule your second "second opinion" at one of these places rather than with another private practice urologist?

Right now, while of course you want to be seen and start whatever treatment is recommended as soon as possible, the most important thing to remember is that the treatment and diagnosis must be the best possible. A few weeks wait will be well worth it if the result is a better treatment plan. AND your best friend is your gut feeling. It is ain't right, it ain't right!!

Good luck to you as you work through this.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 3 weeks ago - 9 years 3 weeks ago #48589 by Alan
I am a little confused on your path report "Cut to the chase, the path report from Johns Hopkins stated invasion of the lamina propria which increased my stage from Tcis to T1. I still haven't received the path report from Johns Hopkins" but, it sounds like you have a definitive high grade report. Also, it sounds like you do have a bad situation URO wise and been given a run around. Yes, it is a time for a change. While another 2-3 of weeks may not make any change, anytime it is high grade you do want to act promptly. I know nothing of the group you mentioned however you do want a practice that sees a LOT of bladder cancer. ASK them! I was lucky as I had a thorough and by "the book" URO who personally read the radiologists report from my CT scan and personally read the pathology report also.

I am guessing you are in Arizona from your posts, thus I also am linking to a practice who many that have had bladder cancer used: askdrlamm.bcgoncology.com/category/bcg-general/ My URO studied under Dr. Lamm and he is world re-knowned for his expertise. Especially pioneering the BCG treatment. Good luck and keep posting.

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

9 years 3 weeks ago #48588 by MHY
Good day everyone!

I hope to make my point and experience clear with everyone. I am not much of a writer so please bare with me as I will try to do my best in explaining my situation.

I recently submitted my slides to Johns Hopkins for a second opinion. The pathology report from my first read didn't quiet correspond to the surgery notes nor to what I saw during my first cystoscopy. The pathology read carcinoma in situ with cautery artifact of the lamina propria. Nothing about the "papillary frondiness" of the other tissue. So with that discrepancy and with other people saying a second opinion is best, I asked to have my slides shipped to Johns Hopkins for a second opinion.

Cut to the chase, the path report from Johns Hopkins stated invasion of the lamina propria which increased my stage from Tcis to T1. I still haven't received the path report from Johns Hopkins, but that is a different story. My urologist, on the other hand, did receive the path report and did leave me a very brief voice message on my phone telling me he would contact me at a later date. That date came and went without any calls from the urologist. My husband was upset with the urologist for not calling and rode his bicycle eight miles to the doctor's office to ask his staff to contact us as soon as possible. The following day the urologist's staff and I started to play telephone tag. Well, that was the last straw. I wanted no part of this so I fired him.

I am now scheduled to see Dr. Ahmann at the University of Arizona Cancer Center this coming Thursday. And, to hedge my bets, I have an appointment with another urologist from the same group as my previous urologist except that this new urologist works in a different office. This appointment is for the 22 April.

Now to my point and question(s). Point 1: A second opinion of your pathology may be beneficial to you as it was in my case. Point 2: My first urologist was a nightmare, and I am hoping that the new one won't be so assholish. When I first met my urologist, he entered the exam room grumbling under his breath, "what, we've got a run on blood in the urine today?" He thought he was treating my husband until my husband said my wife is here to see you even though I was sitting next to him in the exam room. I won't bore you with other specifics of the relationship I had with this guy (we tried once to ask him questions, but he threw a temper tantrum and said he didn't have time to answer all of our questions and to select only a few).

Question 1: at what point in the game plan does a patient jump from a potential disastrous relationship to a better one? Question 2: my follow-up cystoscopy was scheduled for April 9 one month ahead of schedule. Will the change cause any ill-effect to my potential progress of cancer? Question 3: did everyone have to wait one month just to meet his/her urologist before treatment started?

Thank you all for listening.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne