Diagnosed by accident...

9 years 4 months ago #47604 by melmac95
Replied by melmac95 on topic Diagnosed by accident...
Good morning to all. I havent recieved all results from my abdominal scan yet but did find out that whatever is goin on is considered non acute. Ive tried to find out what this could mean but havent found nothing. Asked the nurse and she said id have to wait til Friday when I come in for my scope and the dr would talk to me then. Anyone have an idea what this could mean ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 4 months ago #47588 by fighterm
Replied by fighterm on topic Diagnosed by accident...
Tell him that carcinogens in the smoke make more mutations in the cancer cells and can make them more aggressive. He is risking to increase the grade from low grade to high grade. Maybe this will convince him. Also its not good for his family if he smokes around them. There are 14 different cancers directly linked to smoking.

9 years 4 months ago #47580 by ginny
Replied by ginny on topic Diagnosed by accident...
Hi-
I too was diagnosed by accident- had a ruptured appendix and they did a CT scan and saw "something," in my bladder.

I was anxious about the cystoscopy and how painful it might be, but there was numbing gel and I hardly noticed. I joked with the doctor about how in our early years we have legs in stirrups for our gynecologists and in our later years, its our urologists. (No one laughed - changed doctors)

Anyway it does seem outrageous that you and your husband would have the same thing! I'm glad they caught it early!

9 years 4 months ago #47530 by melmac95
Replied by melmac95 on topic Diagnosed by accident...
Thank you ladies. I go for my scope on the 5th so once all is said and done ill let you all kno the out come. Im so thankful that I quit smoking even though I should have done it years ago. My husband on the other hand continues to smoke. Although his urologist told him that by smoking chances are the cancer would continue to recur. Wish hed quit but he refuses. .

9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #47528 by fighterm
Replied by fighterm on topic Diagnosed by accident...
Many people don't realize that the smoking is the major cause of the bladder cancer. Unfortunately, there is no warnings from the medical community about it. I read one paper about experimental mice. They are given a water with some chemicals from cigarette smokes and all mice develop BC. Actually, it's a standard procedure to get BC in mice. The scientists do it for studies of different drugs. I hope your husband stopped smoking as well. Unfortunately for me, I am still taking chemo that I need for the other cancer and the chemo is very harmful to my bladder. Here is a link to a new drug for clinical trials
med.stanford.edu/news/all-news/2014/10/drug-may-prevent-development-of-invasive-bladder-cancer--researc.html

9 years 4 months ago #47524 by CatherineH
Replied by CatherineH on topic Diagnosed by accident...
Hello melmac... About the scope: The first time I went for a cystoscopy, I was so scared it was going to hurt. My blood pressure was really high when they took me back and I'm usually around 105/65. Afterwards I was so relieved that it was not painful at all, just a bit embarrassing at first. The nurse who prepped me was so warm and comforting that I was able to relax a bit. She inserted some numbing gel first, and after a few minutes when the doctor came in, there was very little discomfort when he inserted the scope. He can put the video on a screen so you can see what he is looking at also.

Now after at least 10 checkup visits, it's old hat. But it is always worrisome that something will show up that isn't supposed to be there, as I'm sure you have been through with your husband. Please let us know what you find out.

Best wishes... Catherine

TURBT 1/21/10 at age 55
Dx: T2aN0M0 Primary Bladder Adenocarcinoma
Partial Cystectomy 2/25/10
Vanderbilt Medical Center
Nashville, TN

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne