BCG shortage?!

9 years 6 months ago #46979 by slocapo
Replied by slocapo on topic BCG shortage?!
Not sure…. I was first told FDA had a problem with it…. that was my 4th treatment.. then the other day with my 5th treatment… they said the medicine was made for some other treatment and by fluke they found it would work well for Urology treatments.. this was in France… So my PA told me that there was not enough profit on the Urology end of this and they were halting production.. Crazy! And say this is not correct… say it is a shortage… a shortage??? how can you have a shortage of something that is made to begin with.

5-12 TURB
5-13 TURB
11-13 TURB
1-14 BCG
7-14 TURB
8-14 BCG
12-14 TURB
1-15 Cauterized for clotting
2-15 Removal of Right Kidney and Lymph node

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 6 months ago #46978 by Laurel
Replied by Laurel on topic BCG shortage?!
Hi:

I deleted the link thank you for pointing out my mistake. I believe the shortage has been going on for a long time.

I would like to know who exactly told you that Sanofi Pasteur or Merck (which company) wants to be purchased and what is their source of this information?

I understand that the Pharmaceutical Industry is in it for the money just like any other industry but to pull a fake shortage to up profits putting peoples lives at risk? I just don't see it. There are other ways to get sold or up your profit margin.

Laurel

9 years 6 months ago #46975 by slocapo
Replied by slocapo on topic BCG shortage?!
This link you entered is from 2012 - and yes there is a shortage again now… I was told the other day from hospital in Boston.. it all comes down to the mighty dollar… they are not making a big enough profit! How madding is that! They are hoping for a company to buy them and get it going again….

5-12 TURB
5-13 TURB
11-13 TURB
1-14 BCG
7-14 TURB
8-14 BCG
12-14 TURB
1-15 Cauterized for clotting
2-15 Removal of Right Kidney and Lymph node

9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 6 months ago #46974 by Laurel
I removed the link I had entered because it was pointed out to me that it was from 2012.

From all the articles I have read the BCG shortage has been on going for a number of years rearing it ugly head periodically so the general public becomes aware. Part of the problem is that there are only two companies the FDA has authorized to supply BCG in the United States.

The most recent shortage appears to be due to a shortage of one biologic agent need for BCG.

9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 6 months ago #46973 by Laurel
I copied this from the FDA site. I also called Merck at the number shown and I was told that the shortage was on going and the earliest date would be late Oct early November or later.

BCG Live (Intravesical)
TheraCys®

Sanofi Pasteur, Ltd.
For questions, please call Sanofi customer service at:
1-800-VACCINE (1-800-822-2463)

TheraCys® BCG is currently unavailable.

Requirements related to complying with good manufacturing practices

Please see information for: BCG Live (Intravesical)
TICE® BCG
below.

Onset:
May 2012
Ongoing

NDC Number:
49281-0880-03

81 mg lyophilized powder

BCG Live (Intravesical)
TICE® BCG

Organon Teknika, Corporation LLC, a subsidiary of Merck & Co, Inc.

For questions, please call Merck customer service at:
1-800-NSC-MERCK
(1-800-672-6372)

TICE® BCG is not available.

Product may be available beginning in October 2014.
Shortage of an active ingredient and demand increase for the drug.
Manufacturing issue in conjunction with an increased demand for this product.
Please check with your physician, wholesaler, or call Merck directly for product availability.
1-800-NSC-MERCK
(1-800-672-6372)
Please see information for: BCG Live (Intravesical)
TheraCys®
above.

Onset:
May 2012
Updated: August 2014
Ongoing

NDC Number:
00052-0602-02

9 years 6 months ago #46968 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic BCG shortage?!
BCG is a bacterial preparation, and when the bugs have problems they do not reproduce. Supposedly, BCG will be back in supply sometime in October. It is not uncommon for patients to have to postpone treatments in the middle of the sequence due to side effects. Mine were delayed several times due to irritation from "BCG cystitis." When my bladder healed, we just resumed the treatments.

When the supplies are back, you can continue and there should be no lack of effect from that.

Good luck

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne