Stage 1 non invasive or invasive? I'm confused.

9 years 9 months ago #46462 by wsilberstein
Replied by wsilberstein on topic Stage 1 non invasive or invasive? I'm confused.
I was generally miserable the day after BCG. I used pyridium & urelle to get through the burning and frequency.

-Warren
TaG3 + CIS 12/2000. TURB + Mitomycin C (No BCG)
Urethral stricture, urethroplasty 10/2009
CIS 11/2010 treated with BCG. CIS 5/2012 treated with BCG/interferon
T1G3 1/2013. Radical Cystectomy 3/5/2013, No invasive cancer. CIS in right ureter.
Incontinent. AUS implant 2/2014. AUS explant 5/2014
Pediatrician

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 9 months ago #46460 by kathydtilton
Replied by kathydtilton on topic Stage 1 non invasive or invasive? I'm confused.
I have high grade non invasive and have had 22 treatments the last 3 years of bcg

Looking for how you have felt during bcg treatments and what it has done to your system. I have has 22 treatments and I know very little about the cancer

9 years 10 months ago #46312 by wsilberstein
Replied by wsilberstein on topic Stage 1 non invasive or invasive? I'm confused.
There are 2 non-invasive stages. Stage Ta has not invaded the lamina propria. Stage T1 has invaded the lamina propria, but not the muscularis. Both can be treated without cystectomy. However, for the best long-term outcome, it's desirable to get the bladder out before the cancer becomes invasive, so if you have multiple recurrences of high grade cancer in spite of treatment, even without invasion, it's best to get the sucker out. That's what I did, and I have no regrets.

-Warren
TaG3 + CIS 12/2000. TURB + Mitomycin C (No BCG)
Urethral stricture, urethroplasty 10/2009
CIS 11/2010 treated with BCG. CIS 5/2012 treated with BCG/interferon
T1G3 1/2013. Radical Cystectomy 3/5/2013, No invasive cancer. CIS in right ureter.
Incontinent. AUS implant 2/2014. AUS explant 5/2014
Pediatrician

9 years 11 months ago #46217 by Alan
Stage one is at the starting point or inside. Lamina Propria (I think that is the word). Stage two would be at the muscle which means a different protocol-usually a cystectomy. Stage 3 would be even more serious meaning it is almost or at the bladder wall. Stage 4 would indicate is has escaped the bladder and headed elsewhere also.

Thus, if you are stage 1 that is considered non invasive while 2-4 are invasive and require quick attention. Stage depending on the grade can mean different protocols. Low grade the URO often watches and waits(meaning they will do a cystoscope every 3 months for a while). High grade means the cystoscope check plus BCG or other chemical treatments ins addition.

Hope that answers your question. There is usually someone around if you have more.

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

9 years 11 months ago #46209 by gina
I know the cancer has began to invade the tissues lining the bladder...but believe it to be considered non invasive...thanks for clearing this up for me.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne