False positives from FISH Test?

14 years 3 months ago #29208 by ddoyle
Replied by ddoyle on topic False positives from FISH Test?
I had the TURB and Retrograde Pylogram this morning and everything went smoothly. The retrogram did not indicate any filling defects in the kidneys and we'll learn the results of the "cold sponge" kidney biopsy where he took swatches from several areas - trigone, left right, top, bottom, etc. next week, but the doc did not see anything to cause concern. The lining of my bladder is, however, VERY prone to inflammation and bleeding -- just injecting water in order to examine causes the tissues to stretch and bleed.

Then of course there's the mystery of the 3 consecutive positive FISH tests that has my Uro doc scratching his head. Yes, a second opinion COULD be in order, but what could be tried that has not already been done? All the cytology tests have been negative.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 years 3 months ago #29002 by ddoyle
Patricia, Julie, Warren, Nancy and other who've been in this thread:

Sorry about the tardy response, but Thanksgiving and all the trimmings happened.

My uro is quite concerned about the 2 Postivite FISH tests in a row and considers me a "high risk patient" in spite of the fact that the last 4 TURB's have turned up no new CIS or even papillary tumors.

I have a Retrograde Pylogram plus a TURB scheduled for Dec. 11. I'd have to say that I'll be surprised if anything is discovered (maybe I mean that I hope not). He wants to check for what are called "filling defects" in the lining of the kidney, where urine formation occurs, which may indicate some type of cancerous growth in those areas. He has no reason to expect their presence, it's just that's what has been observed in similar procedures I suppose. Maybe some of you have more experience and knowledge in this area?

As always I appreciate all your experience and information.

14 years 4 months ago #28736 by Nix
Replied by Nix on topic False positives from FISH Test?
David,
I had the opposite response to FISH test. A little over two years ago, my results to the FISH test showed all clear - two months later I had CIS. I would like to think we caught the CIS very early, and the FISH test did not miss it. After 2 years of BCG I am still clear, but of course I worry every time the FISH tests say "clear".
I would difenitly, follow up on the positive results, maybe a second opinion?

nix

Nancy S
Ta CIS
dx Ta 11/06
dx Ta CIS 10/07

14 years 4 months ago #28718 by Julie
Replied by Julie on topic False positives from FISH Test?
David, In the material Patricia linked to it said that the FISH test could pick up cells several months before a tumor would show up. My husband had a positive FISH test and the Dr. did a retrograde pyleogram and ureterscopies and did not find anything hence he said I can't treat what I can't find.

The difficulty was later CIS was found in his ureters. Having the cancer go upstream to the ureters and kidneys happens but most of the time bladder cancer is in the bladder.
There are false positives but I don't know the percentages I think they are low.
I think your urologist is right and needs to investigate further.

I know it gets wearing to have to have the TURBTS that often but you really don't want the bladder cancer to get outside of the bladder. Please let us know what your urologist decides.
Where are you being treated. I see you are in Houston?
Julie

Volunteer Coordinator
ABLSC

14 years 4 months ago #28703 by ddoyle
Oops, I meant dysplasia.

14 years 4 months ago #28702 by ddoyle
Joey,

I think it's obvious that CIS and hypoplasia are hard to distinguish. Just getting tired of the TURBT's, but thankful it's not invasive.

Thanks for your response.

David

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne