father 74 needs help

7 years 4 months ago #52455 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic father 74 needs help
It wouldn't be natural if your father was not a bit depressed. I remember that after my diagnosis (which was not as advanced as your father's) both my urologist and my primary care doc suggested that "maybe" I was depressed. DUH, For some reason that made me angry....I felt that I had both the reason and the right to be depressed!!!!

Alan's suggestion for exercise is a good one, both for his general health and depression. Unless he shows signs of serious depression (talk of suicide, complete withdrawal from social activities...which would need to be treated) I wouldn't worry too much. Just be there for him to talk to and be a companion for pleasant activities. As soon as he is able to have the surgery, and concentrate on getting on with his life, he should be better. However, this IS serious surgery, with a long recovery time.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 years 4 months ago #52454 by pilinpanglang
Replied by pilinpanglang on topic father 74 needs help
Thanks. I just ask him to walk to start with. he has a tendency to just lay in bed and get up only to eat and complain that he is so weak to get up. i need to force him more I guess

7 years 4 months ago #52453 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic father 74 needs help
Be sure to do whatever exercise he can tolerate. Some is always better than none plus it helps getting one's mind off of problems.

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

7 years 4 months ago #52451 by pilinpanglang
Replied by pilinpanglang on topic father 74 needs help
Sarah, thanks very much for the fast response. The doctor suggested good diet and that is it. he is trying very hard to keep up a healthy diet now. but I do think he has signs of depression that worries me. any suggestion on how to get his mood up so he can gather more strength internally to fight in the next phase?

7 years 4 months ago #52450 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic father 74 needs help
So sorry that your father, and you, are facing this. He is very fortunate to have you by his side as his advocate.

If he has been in good health, he should do fine with the surgery. Has the doctor made any specific suggestions as to how he should get his albumin level up? Since one of the causes of low albumin is inflammation, it is possible that the infection contributed to it.

Has your father shown signs of depression? It is normal to be depressed when receiving a diagnosis such as bladder cancer. It would be very unlikely that this could cause most of his symptoms, other than perhaps contribute to his feelings of weakness. He needs to be eating a healthy diet to build his strength.

It is difficult to know what to suggest, other than that you and your father have a serious conversation with his doctor about specific things he can do to get ready for the surgery. I am not familiar with the medical system in China, so all my suggestions are pretty general.

Wishing you all the best

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

7 years 4 months ago #52446 by pilinpanglang
father 74 needs help was created by pilinpanglang
My father (age 74) was diagnose Invasive urothelial cancer within his Diverticulum in mid Oct 2016 in China. And was scheduled for radial cystectomy on Dec. 2 using robotic technology. However, on the scheduled day, he was found to have a fever above 38°C and found low blood albumin (~30, minimum 35 required), Dr said he was not in a good condition for surgery and asked him to go home deal with fever and low albumin first. He has taken 3 days of IV antibiotic from Dec 5 to 7, during which fever had gone up as high as above 39°C but now the fever seems to be under control however, albumin level is still low. And he is feeling very weak.

I have to mention, prior to the diagnosis, he has been fairly healthy considering his age and never had any big or on-going health issues. Now I am worried that he will be continuously consumed by the cancer and will never come back to the condition suitable for surgery. Another concern is that I do not know how much of these weaknesses are due to mental status like I said he has been healthy all his life almost and seldom visited hospital or doctors. Hence I am coming to this forum for some suggestions and directions. Thanks in advance for any advises.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne