Immunotherapy and Clinical Trials

7 years 10 months ago #51208 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Immunotherapy and Clinical Trials
Not quite sure about some aspects of your question about immunotherapy. As Franky said, the primary treatment for non-invasive high grade bladder cancer is BCG, which is a form of immunotherapy and it is very effective. There is a lot of research going on for more specific, targeted immunotherapy agents for bladder cancer, but none are readily available yet outside of clinical trials.

As for "alternative" treatments, to my knowledge none have been shown to be effective; some are just ineffective, but some can interfere with proven conventional therapies and cause some real problems. I WOULDN'T USE ANY SUBSTANCES OR DRUGS UNLESS YOUR PHYSICIAN CONCURS.

As for Chinese medicine, the answer is the same. Unless you are absolutely sure of what you are getting, the odds of obtaining any true medicines via the internet, etc., are very low. And none of these are proven therapies.

You can find LOTS of anecdotal "evidence" on how great these things are and on what they have cured. Please remember that this is NOT scientific evidence. And personal belief is a powerful drug in itself. Over 30% of the effects of any drug has been shown to be due to the "Placebo Effect." If someone believes it works, it can have an effect.

Buyer beware

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 years 10 months ago - 7 years 10 months ago #51205 by Franky
Replied by Franky on topic Immunotherapy and Clinical Trials
Hi. BCG, which is used for bladder cancer, is an immmunotherapy and is considered the best treatment for superficial bladder cancer. I think everyone has a different opinion on alternative treatments. My mother has been fighting bladder cancer for the last 6 yrs and continues to receive BCG treatments. She does, however, also use alternative treatments in the hopes of keeping the cancer away longer or curing it completely. If what you are trying does not have any adverse effects, then I don't think there is no side effects. I feel that by trying alternative treatments we are trying to control the cancer rather than it controlling us. Good Luck!

7 years 10 months ago - 7 years 10 months ago #51202 by andym
Replied by andym on topic Immunotherapy and Clinical Trials
Hello. Would like to ask you if you believe in immunootherapy, alternative kinds of treatment. I was looking for some information.
Do you think it can be alternative treatment or at least complementary?

7 years 11 months ago #50929 by sara.anne
Immunotherapy and Clinical Trials was created by sara.anne
The current issue of TIME magazine's cover story on the developments in immunotherapy is well-worth a read! Also covers a lot on the state of clinical trials in this fast-moving area.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne