Discomfort post BCG

7 years 9 months ago #51299 by jroza1
Replied by jroza1 on topic Discomfort post BCG
Glad to hear! I actually have my first follow up Cysto today... Not looking forward to it, but I am as I hope it's clear. I had some negative reactions to the BCG from the flu to cramping and nausea to just being tired and crampy - and about a week out all o that was gone and this week the pain has returned, so I am not sure if it is paychosemantic or what.

I am hoping for a good clean bill of health as well so let's see what happens

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 years 9 months ago #51297 by karenp
Replied by karenp on topic Discomfort post BCG
Some good news! My cysto went well, everything looked good. We discussed this discomfort at length and after the exam the Dr believes I have Urethritis or inflammation of urethra from all of the catheters and "activity" I have had with the 6 BCG treatments. BCG Maintenance will start in 2 mos. Thank you all for your support and insight.

7 years 9 months ago #51279 by daybyday
Replied by daybyday on topic Discomfort post BCG
I finished by first set of BCG treatments end of April and I still have a the same symptoms you described and feel tired all the time... I have my next scope on 20th of June and am praying for good results.

7 years 9 months ago #51230 by Mike M
Replied by Mike M on topic Discomfort post BCG
I'm in a similar boat. Finished my initial 6-wk course in early Apr and still have some mild cramping almost 8 wks later. I'm hoping of course it's my immune system attacking the cancer. Will find out in July when my follow-up cysto is scheduled. For now I'm enjoying the 3-month reprieve before "Judgement Day." Best wishes for a positive outcome to you!

12/15 - Diagnosed Ta HG, 1.5cm Pap, Focal CIS
3/16 - Began BCG following NCCN and SWOG guidelines
2/19 - Ta HG recurrence and CIS/Ta HG in right kidney/ureter
2/19 - Nephroureterectomy to remove right kidney/ureter
9/19 - BCGx33 completed
2/20 - Invasive HG urothelial pT2 in prostate stroma

7 years 10 months ago #51219 by Jack R
Replied by Jack R on topic Discomfort post BCG
I read of a wide range of experiences with BCG treatment. There are clearly very individual differences in response and side effects.

It was just over 6 weeks from the end of my last course of 6 BCG treatments until all the side effects were finally gone. Every treatment hits me hard, others seem to tolerate BCG better than me.

Worry, anticipation and concern while waiting for the next evaluation seems to be something I share with many others. We all want some positive news to hold on to.

I am convinced that BCG is the best approach for non-invasive superficial bladder cancer. I just try to hold onto that thought when the jitters hit me.

I hope your upcoming eval is great !

Best, Jack

6/2015 HG Papillary & CIS
3 Years and 30 BCG/BCG+Inf
Tis CIS comes back.
BC clear as of 5/17 !
RCC found in my one & only kidney 10/17
Begin Chemo; Cisplatin and Gemzar
8/18 begin Chemo# 3
Begin year 4 with cis
2/19 Chemo #4
9/19 NED again :)
1/2020 CIS is back
Tried Keytruda, stopped by side effects
Workin on a new plan for 2021

7 years 10 months ago #51218 by karenp
Discomfort post BCG was created by karenp
Hi there- has anyone else experienced extended discomfort after BCG treatments? I completed 6 rounds of weekly treatments 3 weeks ago and I continue to have discomfort, bloating and cramping. I'm paranoid something is growing of course and I'm 2 weeks out from my follow up cysto. Has anyone else experienced this? It isn't awful, I'm still functioning OK. I don't expect the urologist would want to do anything other than advise I continue to take ibuprofen for the discomfort and see what the cysto shows on the 7th.

Thanks in advance for any perspective you all might have for me.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne