questions to ask doctor

9 years 4 months ago #47758 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic questions to ask doctor
And only the pathology report will tell you for sure. However, your urologist has a lot of experience and it telling you what he thinks based on his experience.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 4 months ago #47757 by rike
Replied by rike on topic questions to ask doctor
thank you, when we originally went to the urologist he already mentioned Stage 3 invasive bladder cancer after a procedure he did. On Monday, after biopsy, he showed me pictures of the bladder and said it confirmed what he thought it was. That was the part that was so confusing to me. He said pathology report would be used to determine treatment options.

9 years 4 months ago #47756 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic questions to ask doctor
Welcome to our Forum. I know that you are a bit bewildered with the thought of possible bladder cancer as well as all the unfamiliar terminology! We have all been where you are now!

I am a little confused. You say that the biopsy was Monday and you will get the pathology report on Friday...yet you also say that it is stage 3? How do you know this?

Usually the biopsy samples, when examined by the pathologist, determine a. whether indeed bladder cancer is present or not and b. the grade and stage if it is malignant. That is why I didn't quite understand how you knew it was state 3 already.

As for questions for the urologist, first IS it indeed cancer, and what kind is it? The most common kind of bladder cancer is urethelial (arising from the urethelial cells in the bladder lining) but there are other, rarer types. The type determines the type of treatment the doctor will suggest. Second, what is the grade and stage. This determines if it has progressed beyond the bladder lining as well as whether it is slow growing (low grade) or fast growing (high grade.) Finally, of course, if it is cancer, you will want to discuss the "where do we go from here" questions. What types of treatment, if any, are recommended and what does he expect the prognosis to be?

I am sure that others will want to chime in with their question suggestions also.

Good luck to you both and please keep us informed about your progress. And if you have other questions, please just ask....

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

9 years 4 months ago #47755 by rike
questions to ask doctor was created by rike
If this is in here twice I am sorry. I thought I had submitted it earlier but don't see it. Still trying to navigate.
Need help with questions to ask the doctor

My husband had biopsy on Monday (stage 3) and we have an appointment on Friday for pathology report and to discuss treatment option.
what are important things to know before we see him, so we can ask the right questions?
I have no clue even after looking up all kinds of things on the internet. Just totally overwhelmed. Thank you so much for all the help you can provide.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne