questions to ask doctor

9 years 3 months ago #47829 by GKLINE
Replied by GKLINE on topic questions to ask doctor
Sara Ann is Very Correct with regard to a good surgeon.

While a caring Dr. is important and a skilled surgeon is also important to you.... The surgeon that does your RC must be more of an assembly line worker. Skilled indeed, but you want a surgeon that has seen and done it a million times. An artistic surgeon is not your choice.
As to the neobladder...... I have one. I am one of the very lucky ones that has had very few side effects with it. But I have known some very difficult stories related to this and you should not make your choice on one successful patient.

I wish you the best of luck. And keep us in the loop..... We are pulling for you.

Sincerely
George

Light a man a fire and he is warm for an evening.
Light a man ON fire and he's warm forever.

08/08/08...RC neo bladder
09/09/09...New Hip
=
New Man! [/size]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 4 months ago #47795 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic questions to ask doctor
In my opinion, 3-4 times a year is NOT anywhere near enough for a surgeon to be competent in any type of surgery. Generally more than 20 and even better more than 50 a year would be necessary.

Alan usually recommend this site from the Cleveland Clinic for an excellent overview of the three types of diversions after radical cystectomy...THANKS ALAN

my.clevelandclinic.org/health/treatments_and_procedures/hic_Urinary_Reconstruction_and_Diversion

There are pros and cons to each, and it depends on your personal preference, age, and the ability to deal with the "what ifs." The neobladder is the most complicated surgery...is wonderful when it works. But it doesn't always.

The Mayo Clinic is an excellent choice. Another is Dr. Donald Lamm
bcgoncology.com/

You are fortunate to be where you can have such good options.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

9 years 4 months ago #47790 by rike
Replied by rike on topic questions to ask doctor
We met with urologist yesterday and got the diagnosis for my husband. His recommendation is removal of bladder. Gave us referral to oncologist to do chemotherapy BEFORE surgery. We contacted Mayo clinic in Phoenix and hope to get in to get 2nd opinion. Our urologist here said, he performs this surgery about 3-4 times a year. Is that enough expertise for such a severe surgery? Also he was not fond of neobladder. Would like to hear from others what option they chose and what the success rate is.
Still puzzled how this came on so quick, no indication until 3 weeks ago. Just had a complete physical in November.
Thank you so very much for all your input in trying to navigate through the wilderness of this.

9 years 4 months ago #47774 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic questions to ask doctor
Don't apologize for not understanding a "foreign" language!! This is all new to you.

RC stands for radical cystectomy, or removal of the bladder. You may not be facing this unless the cancer has spread into deeper layers of the bladder. However, many of the the questions in the file that Alan posted in the file are very valid no matter what the diagnosis will be.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

9 years 4 months ago #47769 by rike
Replied by rike on topic questions to ask doctor
thank you for the file. Excuse my ignorance---what does RC stand for

9 years 4 months ago #47763 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic questions to ask doctor

File Attachment:

File Name: preopquest...orRC.doc
File Size:19 KB

I am attaching a file that I saved from someone else's work knowing not just me but others may have a need.

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: rike

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne